Need a bit of help on linux install

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Need a bit of help on linux install

Post by Zilarrezko »

Reinstalled linux. Can't figure out how I installed love 9.1 on my Linux laptop before. Needin' help as I'm usin' 14.04LTS Ubuntu distribution and it would seem libmng2 and libmng-dev are the only two libmng's there, and apparently liblove needs libmng1 (Who's idea was it to make 3 required files for love on linux anyway?). I saw there was a PPA thing or something, but that seems more trouble than what I'm tryin' to do above.

On a side note, trying to install Zerobrane studios onto the good ol' laptop. And it's in a shell file. Tried to do the only thing I know what to do to a shell file and do a "./[filenamehere]" and said I don't have permissions to do so.

And if you're wondering why I'm even using linux in the first place if I can't figure this stuff out anyway, it's because some genius from the laptop department of MSI thought, "Hey, let's put a ton of junk on this computer". I'm sure the subordinates just went along with it only because they get paid by that guy.
eeyore
Prole

Re: Need a bit of help on linux install

Post by eeyore »

For the ZeroBrane install, do "chmod +x <filename>.sh" and then do the ./<filename>.sh command.

As for installing Love - I would recommend using the PPA. Then, when you do "sudo apt-get love", apt should handle installing the dependencies for you.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

The zero brane studio thing worked. Although, the love thing didn't. I followed the instructions in the PPA's like "read about installing". Typed in "sudo add-apt -repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable" I'm guessing that worked since the terminal didn't throw an error. Then proceeded to "sudo apt-get love" and it threw an error "invalid operation love" (funny). I also tried "sudo apt-get install love", but that install 0.8.0 for me. And i'd like 0.9.0.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

You first need to run 'sudo apt-get update' after adding the ppa, then 'sudo apt-get install love' should give you 0.9.2.
In fact, because of the dependency name change ubuntu pulled after release, the homepage advertises the downloadable debs as not supporting 14.04 and it refers 14.04 users to the ppa. (Though I do believe I updated 14.04 debs to the download site.)
eeyore
Prole

Post by eeyore »

Thanks to bartbes for filling in my omissions. That'll teach me to proof-read my replies a little more carefully. Sigh. :)
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

eeyore wrote:For the ZeroBrane install, do "chmod +x <filename>.sh" and then do the ./<filename>.sh command.
I think in Ubuntu you can change the permissions with just right-click > properties > permissions > allow executing as a program. I find that a tad easier to remember.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, was at school and a party afterwards. But I swear I did a sudo apt-get update after I did the PPA thing. But I did it again and it installed 0.9.1 for me. Though you said it should have done 0.9.2 bartbes? Maybe I needed to do another sudo apt-get update? But thanks again to everyone, got everything to work at least.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Oh, my bad, I meant 0.9.1, 0.9.2 hasn't been released yet.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

Understood, thanks again.