im back. this is what ive been doing

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
smokingbunny
Prole

im back. this is what ive been doing

Post by smokingbunny »

hello all,

i was as smoking bunny, but had trouble and am now on as smokingbunny. but im back, and am really gagging for LÖVE... in all the wrong places ;)
but just wanted to share wanted i have been doing of late, and that is playing with a new-ish game framework using LUA, its called polycode. you may or may or not have heard of it

if you have ever come across UNITY, then polycode is just pretty much the same, except its free, and uses lua or c++. its also still in its beta stages, but is a really really lovely framework. plus the docs are outdated, but are being sorted as i type, by the main guy.
the syntax is confusing at first and starts to make sense afterwards also, but since you work with scenes, like UNITY, then the syntax changes in that aspect. i have been helping out with making tutorial videos and supplying a mac binary build, since there are no builds for any system and you have to build from source.

you can build to the 3 main OS systems [linux/mac/win] from one machine as well and work in 3d, as well as 2d. the level editor is lovely, and you just make levels a bit like UNITY

if you would like to check it out you can go to POLYCODE
also my website SMOKING BUNNY. where you can find downloads of the mac binary and also tutorials on using it. ive made 2 but am doing more for future dealings, but more when i can get a new computer ;)

anyhow, thats what ive been up to but really want to get back into LÖVE. its just to nice to not use ;)
lewis lepton
------
website
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Re: im back. this is what ive been doing

Post by DaedalusYoung »

There's [this thread] for you :P

I've seen Polycode before, but couldn't really get into it, mainly due to the lacking documentation, so if that's being sorted, I'll have to take another look at it again.
smokingbunny
Prole

Post by smokingbunny »

HA, ill check that out. but its weird because i do get emails, so have no idea why its odd. ill ask my providers 'what the chuff' ;)
though with this new username, its like all my other ones, ill get on and delete and sort the old account ;)

aye, polycode is annoying in not having the right documentation, because the syntax changed a bit, which knocked pretty much ALL the documentation thats online now. so thats not really helpful.
but all in all its a great piece of kit. especially since i have looked at UNITY, but dont want to pay the massive price if i need the bells and whistles.

but i have started to do videos to help people get to grips, only done 1 proper tutorial in importing and getting sprites on screen, but its a start. HERE IT IS
im going to do others where i teach how to move them and get physics etc. but all in due time, but more when i get a new computer, which may take some time since i dont have the funds but have started a donation thing to hopefully help.

aye, keep your eye on it, its nice
lewis lepton
------
website
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

No windows binary? :/