Physics Sandbox Game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.

Does Physics Box have potential?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 9

Maxwell
Prole

Physics Sandbox Game

Post by Maxwell »

Physics Box v0.1.1

I highly admire the Box2D physics engine and for some reason I can not find a game that really uses its potential. I could imagine all the fun you could have using it, yet I couldn't find a fun game that did. So I decided to make my own.

I announce to Physics Box (because I couldn't think of anything better). There is no point to this game, no way to win, all you do is spawn objects, throw them around, resize them, change their colors, stack them, whatever you want.

I've only been working on this for less than a week so there's not much to see so far. I am unsure if I should keep working on it or not. I have a tendency to create things others don't appreciate and then I stop working on them. Also I just started college and I don't want to slack too much (;. So tell me what you guys think and what you think should be added! If you have any questions please ask!

The .love and .exe in case you don't have love installed are both included in the .zip :awesome:

v0.1.1 - September 7, 2014

-Controls-

Left click to drag objects.

Right click on an object to modify it.

Use w,a,s,d keys to move around the object you control.

Press "tab" for building objects.
Left click to create objects.
Right click to edit objects.

Press "esc" for settings.

Press "q" and "e" to zoom in and out.

Attachments
v0.1.1Physics Box.zip
(3.66 MiB) Downloaded 422 times
Last edited by Maxwell on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Operarus
Prole

Re: Physics Sandbox Game

Post by Operarus »

is a framework, or a sandbox? If this is a sandbox, then you need to make a menu where all the settings are box2d (gravity, creating fixtures, scroll, etc.), and if it is a framework, it is necessary to simplify the code (add a couple of simple examples). It's too early version, you need to add a lot of things. Sorry for bad english.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

The idea seems really cool, but it was too laggy for me. It is most likely because my PC is really, really bad.
Just a heads up: if you plan on making it like a physics sandbox game with a lot of little options and customization, make it a little more like PHUN (more info about it), for example. It has a lot of things you could take inspiration from. Good luck with this project!
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
miki4midably
Prole

Post by miki4midably »

Started playing with this and ended up playing a blocks version of Angry Birds with it, after making a whole bunch of shapes and piling them up . . . and then knocking them all over the place. ~hehe~ That was fun.

So, if I can make a game out of the simple thing you've made so far, then imagine what you can do with it next. =)

Think perhaps ... marbles or bowling balls or boulders or ball bearings, and ramps and spinny things and creatures running all about trying to get out of the way and rickety buildings and trebuchets and castles made of blocks and octopi lobbing things and bouncing rubber bombs and trap doors and funnels and pipes and seesaws and giant rubber bands and . . . well, anything that moves really. Just throwing random ideas in your general direction to see what sticks (or bounces).

Have fun! =D
Maxwell
Prole

Post by Maxwell »

Those are some great ideas miki4midably, some a little far fetched but still very good ideas. I was planning to try to make the bare bone tools for the user to almost create the rest of the game themselves. Sort of like a Little Big Planet, but with a lot more modding. Little Big Planet was just like using a map editor. I was thinking to give the user more room for creativity sort of like Garry's mod. Where people could create role playing servers, or death matches, coop games, anything as long as it was 2D haha.

Reason I haven't been working on it cause I am busy working on another project that I think has more potential and it's easier to make. If anyone is interested in taking this project on I am gladly to help you or give you the source code (not sure if I already put the source code in the .zip). Let me know!