ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.70 is out

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
paulclinger
Party member

Re: ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.70 is out

Post by paulclinger »

@dan369, are you using the latest (0.22) version of the plugin? I've seen something similar few times with earlier versions of the plugin. Does it happen consistently? Any chance you can gist/paste the file this happens on (if you are using 0.22)? I'll take a look if I can reproduce. Thanks.
dan369
Prole

Post by dan369 »

paulclinger wrote:@dan369, are you using the latest (0.22) version of the plugin? I've seen something similar few times with earlier versions of the plugin. Does it happen consistently? Any chance you can gist/paste the file this happens on (if you are using 0.22)? I'll take a look if I can reproduce. Thanks.
I was still using v0.13 :O! Wow.. Okay my bad there. AT a quick glance, the bug doesn't seem to re-appear, you probably fixed it tbh.
Edit:
Updated all plugins now. Will however let you know if this re-appears *in the unlikely event.
Clouds
Prole

Post by Clouds »

paulclinger wrote:@Clouds, I added "Run" and "Run as Scratchpad" buttons, but they are disabled by default (for now, while I'm figuring out if they are well received). To enable them, add the following to the config:
Lovely, thank you! :D

Perhaps I'm just being dense; is there somewhere one can download binaries of pre-release versions which implement these updates you've mentioned?
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Clouds wrote:Lovely, thank you! :D

Perhaps I'm just being dense; is there somewhere one can download binaries of pre-release versions which implement these updates you've mentioned?
That's easy; my apologies for now making it more explicit. You can always get the latest code from github, either by cloning the repository or by downloading the current master archive (https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBrane ... master.zip), which works on any supported platform. Paul.
Clouds
Prole

Post by Clouds »

Ah, thanks. I'm so used to GitHub repos containing only uncompiled source, I just assumed. :crazy:
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

So image this...
You spend two days on a big chuck of code. You're half way don't with it. About 350 lines of code.

Then on the third day you wake up. Feelin' well enough to tackle the brick walls you encounter from yesterday. So you decide to do the ol' trial and error on some values to see if that works. Then... right when you type and start to click away.... BAM blue screen of death and sorrow kicks with a 0xa000001 (I don't remember how many 0's) but then you're like. Okay that's fine... it'll just restart and you're good to continue... but no... it just had to delete everything from the file, and resort everything in ZBS back to it's default settings...

Can we make an automatic backup of our files somewhere else? because I'd hate to be like Munkee Bacon and lose an entire game...

RIP GUI system :cry:
Attachments
ripgui.png
ripgui.png (7.93 MiB) Viewed 5844 times
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Zilarrezko wrote: Can we make an automatic backup of our files somewhere else? because I'd hate to be like Munkee Bacon and lose an entire game...
Isn't that what you'd normally use git for?
paulclinger wrote: As several users already noted, ZeroBrane Studio v0.70 is out
I'm using v0.80 and wanted to ask if there is a way to make the cursor in a file jump to the line which is currently debugged?
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

rmcode wrote:
Zilarrezko wrote: Can we make an automatic backup of our files somewhere else? because I'd hate to be like Munkee Bacon and lose an entire game...

Isn't that what you'd normally use git for?
If you know any github magic (I'm very new to github) so that way it auto syncs or whatever every couple minutes that'd be awesome. Cause I tend to wait until I'm finished with a few implementations, and am ecstatic with the results. I'll commit changes and sync with github. Just so that way I don't have to copy over the file and sync when I made something half finished. It would get quite bothersome to keep copying and waiting for it to sync. I could honestly do an MKLink so that way I don't have to copy over the file.

If I knew enough batch scripting, I could probably just have a batch script run on startup and every couple of minutes run a backup. Although I don't know if that's possible, I'll have to google that... Rather do this than auto syncing, since I work straight out of the github repository. Otherwise it may sync the empty file in my case.
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

The debugger in ZeroBrane is a lifesaver! Don't want to work without it anymore.
Zilarrezko wrote: If you know any github magic (I'm very new to github) so that way it auto syncs or whatever every couple minutes that'd be awesome.
There isn't any magic, but here are a few tips (feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to know more) losely based on this article:
1. Use branches for everything you do (features, fixes, refactoring).
2. Commit Often (when I work on a feature my commits often only contain a few lines)!!! <- Can't stress this enough.
3. Try to keep branches as small as possible - I'm not talking about the amount of commits here, but instead about the scope of the branch. Try to break a big feature (for example AI) into smaller feature branches.

Most importantly: Don't be afraid of committing something, even if you aren't sure if you are going to keep it or if it will work out. The good thing about git is, that you can always switch back to an older commit if you don't like the direction you are going.

Once you feel confident about the basics, you can get into the more elaborate workflows. Just as an example, I now use git rebase on a regular basis to squash all the commits on a feature branch together into a single commit before merging it back into the develop branch. This means that even if you have 30 commits of garbage on a branch it won't hurt your repo in the end. After the rebase only the good stuff will remain ;)

P.S.: Sorry for the off topic :P
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Zilarrezko wrote:So image this...
Can we make an automatic backup of our files somewhere else? because I'd hate to be like Munkee Bacon and lose an entire game...
@Zilarrezko, I'm sorry to hear that happened. I agree, this is unacceptable and is quite strange as ZBS includes auto-recovery mechanism that should restore unsaved content (up to the last checkpoint) and is enabled by default (probably since version 0.50). You should see "Saved auto-recover..." message in the status bar every time the recovery record is updated. This saves auto-recovery information in the config file and when you start ZBS, that information is used to restore the unsaved content (you'll see "Found auto-recovery record and restored saved session." message). It will also never overwrite the existing content of the file when the session is restored (but will mark the editor tab with any changes as not-saved).

Have you been saving changes in the files during the two days of editing?

You should definitely follow @rmcode's advice and use some version control, but I would still expect ZBS to do a good job of recovering your content in the case of a system crash. In fact, ZBS now include "hotexit" setting that allows you (when enabled) to quickly exit ZBS without saving any of your changes and when restarted to see exactly the same workspace content. This is still a bit experimental (and is off by default), but I've been using it for some time without issues.