Making a parser text adventure

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
verbaloid
Prole

Making a parser text adventure

Post by verbaloid »

Hi, I've been long into making LUA-based parser text adventures (most of them in Russian), using my own Builder and a wxLua runner for output (here's the link for archive of the whole thing).
I discovered LOVE and I want to give my games a graphical twist, similar to Derpy and Hunting for Super Tasty Muffin.

Question
1 is, where do I even start to display text with custom fonts, like Derpy's oldschool font? Are there code examples of such text games I could look at and learn from?

Question 2 is, the parser for user text input: how do I implement it in LOVE?

Question 2 is is it possible to adapt the LUA file generated by my builder for LOVE output? Currently the wxLua runner uses HTML tags to display text. (In the archive above there's the Builder and a Runner in a separate folder, with a .BAT file to test game.)

Actually, I would very much welcome if someone agreed to help me adapt my LUA game files for LOVE, I would gladly pay money for such help.
Plu
Inner party member

Re: Making a parser text adventure

Post by Plu »

I can answer a few of them, but not enough time for indepth right now.

For using a custom font, check out:
http://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Fonts_and_Text

Specifically: "Creating a font object using an image"

For the parser, if you already have a Lua based parser you can probably just plug it in as a whole; Löve is only a framework, it still runs on raw Lua. You just need to call the parser's functions as you normally do. The same goes for your last question; you'll have to change your output functions but most of your existing code will probably still work just fine.