will LÖVE2D allow video in the future?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
murks
Party member

Re: will LÖVE2D allow video in the future?

Post by murks »

I'm thinking of doing a short intro for our little game project. It's relatively easy to do so long as you don't go cross platform. Lots of winows games used to ship a version of mplayer and used it to play the intro or cut scenes, but I really don't want to do that.
So if I do a video I probably show a sequence of PNGs, should be alright for just a few seconds.

Still, video support would be nicer, theora or webm or somesuch hopefully unencumbered format.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

murks wrote:I'm thinking of doing a short intro for our little game project. It's relatively easy to do so long as you don't go cross platform. Lots of winows games used to ship a version of mplayer and used it to play the intro or cut scenes, but I really don't want to do that.
So if I do a video I probably show a sequence of PNGs, should be alright for just a few seconds.

Still, video support would be nicer, theora or webm or somesuch hopefully unencumbered format.
mjpeg works fantastically cross-platform.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

For certain types of intros you could do a scripted real-time kind of thing.
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Thanks a lot, mjpeg looks like it could work, however, it has not yet been updated to 0.9.*. Maybe I'll have another stab at it sometime.
smoking bunny
Citizen

Post by smoking bunny »

oooh, thats good to know. ill have a look-see. but true, has not been updated. may have to wait and see.

thanks again
lewis lepton
------
composer | sound designer | tinkerer
smoking bunny | bandcamp | twitter | gitHub | vimeo
Evine
Citizen

Post by Evine »

Looking at "The Legend of Zelda" series, famous for it gameplay. It still has lot of short cut-scenes, to set up narrative and story. So even if you like gameplay heavy games cut-scenes can still add to the experience. Old Zelda games is also a great way to see how you can get around the no video support of LÖVE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsWHg5URahA <-- Gameboy color.

Speaking of file size, I checked the file size of Sintel, a short movie ~15min. With the youtube compression it's 254MB for 1080p quality and 182MB for 720p. I would say the quality is good enough and 15min of cut-scenes should hold at minimum 5 hours of gameplay for a story heavy game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

Do the LÖVE community need video support? I would certainly use it for the game I'm working on. But I can also get around the issue if needed.
Artal, A .PSD loader: https://github.com/EvineDev/Artal
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Smoking Bunny, I might do it and I'm sure I'm able, it's just that I haven't use love threads yet, neither the old nor the new version. It would probably be better to spend my time for the actual game than this. On the other hand it would be nice, fo the simple reason that basically all commercial games have short intro sequences. If our game had that it would give the impression of a more complete game and this would probably look good in the scope of the university course we develop this game for.
However, I'm sure our game, as simple as it may be, would already be OK as it is now, so the bigger motivation would be that video playback could be useful to others.