Shapes of Doom

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
roggie
Prole

Shapes of Doom

Post by roggie »

Version: 1.4

I created Shapes of Doom a couple of weeks ago and my friends told me that it was a good game but then I thought "What would other people think about this game?" So I decided to share it with the LÖVE community. The reason I am having doubts about this game is because this is the first game that I have ever created.

So here it is:

Bradley got superpowers a couple of years ago and he recently discovered that he could fly. So one thing led to another and before you no it an evil villain starts putting shapes in the sky. There are circles and triangles and squares, Oh my. Bradley hasn't discovered all of his powers yet so there might be a couple of more games with Bradley coming your way.

There's one thing that you need to know about the shapes. They never stop and they will get faster and faster.

Your feedback will be much appreciated :awesome:

Changelog:

Version 1.4:
I've Fixed the Collision problems
Clouds in the Background
New Shape(Hexagon)
The Hexagon only spawns after a certain amount of time.

If anyone feels that the game is too easy, tell me what I could add or take away from the game to make it harder ;)
Attachments
Shapes of Doom(Version 1.4).love
Version 1.4
(466.62 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Shapes of Doom.love
Version 1.2
(77.39 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Last edited by roggie on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
player_258
Prole

Re: Shapes of Doom

Post by player_258 »

its cool for your first game :D
you could improve it by making appear more than 3 shapes at once ;)
sorry if i make any english mistake, not my native language
roggie
Prole

Post by roggie »

player_258 wrote:you could improve it by making appear more than 3 shapes at once ;)
I was thinking of doing that but I was afraid of overcrowding the screen.
its cool for your first game :D
Thank You
gestaltist
Prole

Post by gestaltist »

Yep, pretty cool for a first... Congrats!

Two minor comments:
1) there seems to be no way back from the controls/credits screens to the main menu.
2) if you would like to make the game prettier, you could try to add some clouds in the background. Bonus points for parallax. Just an idea if you want to keep working on it.
roggie
Prole

Post by roggie »

gestaltist wrote:
"Two minor comments:
1) there seems to be no way back from the controls/credits screens to the main menu.
2) if you would like to make the game prettier, you could try to add some clouds in the background. Bonus points for parallax. Just an idea if you want to keep working on it."

I forgot to write in those menus that you press backspace to go back. In the next update I'm going to add buttons for that.

I'll definitely add clouds and I might add birds. The birds will give you some amount of points.

Thank you for your feedback :D
A.N.D.R.E.I.C.H
Prole

Post by A.N.D.R.E.I.C.H »

there is some weak or bug...
if you place your hero like that...
you'll never be hit...
roggie
Prole

Post by roggie »

A.N.D.R.E.I.C.H wrote:there is some weak or bug...
if you place your hero like that...
you'll never be hit...
Thank you, I'll fix that
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Comrade why do you have all your text in images? you can use fonts instead

also you shouldn't have everything in main.lua you can make more .lua files and require them with require("fileName") or require "fileName"
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Really cool, my best score was 19 xD, anyway you could maybe slowly increas the speed of the objects instead of having that insane speed right from the start. It's nice thought :)
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
roggie
Prole

Post by roggie »

jjmafiae wrote:Comrade why do you have all your text in images? you can use fonts instead
The text in images are just templates, I'm going to remove the text and then just add buttons.
jjmafiae wrote:also you shouldn't have everything in main.lua you can make more .lua files and require them with require("fileName") or require "fileName"
I now but I prefer to have everything in the same file.
Ranguna259 wrote:you could maybe slowly increas the speed of the objects instead of having that insane speed right from the start. It's nice thought :)
When I first started development on the game the start speed was really slow which made the game kinda boring so I then made it fast. In the next update there will be power-ups so when the player collides with them the shapes either get faster or slower or something else happens :D

But yeah, I'll make them slower. :)