My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: My Adventure Game Engine (NEW DEMO ON PAGE 20! 6/17/10)

Post by Jasoco »

I don't understand how those sites work. I just signed up for Github and it wants me to install something to use it. I don't get it. It's confusing as Greek to me. How does it work? Will it work with the tools I use myself? I don't use TextMate. I hate TextMate. I use TextWrangler, yet everyone talks about TextMate. Screw TextMate. How does it work? Does it upload the files or something? How does it know and when does it do that? The site is very vague about it. I hate confusion. It's so much easier to just zip the files and upload them to the forum.

I should start a development blog and post every time I work on the game.. though, isn't that what this is kind of? I could also create a FaceBook page for it, but it doesn't have a name yet so what would I call the page? I guess I could create a page for my company Jasoco. Then post my updates there.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

GitHub wants you to install Git on your computer. It is one of a few good Version Control softwares among SVN and HG. It keeps all changes throughout the history of a codebase and usually allows multiple users to commit code to it.

You might think this is making life too difficult, but I feel anyone who has used these types of tools will find the code history indispensable when you find out you have been doing something very wrong for a while and need to revert. That, and it pretty much makes collaborative coding possible.

It might be hard jumping straight to Git in version control. SVN is much easier to use, but also very limited in how it can work in your workflow. HG and Git will be able to mold to however you want to work, but also come with a much larger set of functions to interact with the local and remote repo's. Whereas, SVN just has the remote repo.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

90% of the words you just used didn't make any sense to me.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Just think of how the wiki has history and stuff, just for code.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Jasoco: github is a website specialized in hosting code for other people.

It uses git; a progran created by the linux guys, widely used (opensource etc) which basically helps programmers manage their code. It's main advantage is that you can make "temporal copies" of you code, and then "go back" to them, without having to make temporary files, etc; it's all handled transparently.

git + github only care about files; you can use textwrangler or whatever you want to edit them. But you will have to install git plus a couple things more (namely, SSH - this will be used so you can "upload" your snapshots to github).

There's a forum post where Taehl asked about github; he was using windows, but the steps are more or less the same (he used msysgit and you will have to use git).

I hope this helps.
When I write def I mean function.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Use this guide to install git, use this guide to set up your computer to authenticate to Github correctly, then use this guide to learn git.

Have fun.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:90% of the words you just used didn't make any sense to me.
Version control is basically a huge “undo” program. Or look at it as small, timely backups.

Either way, they are very useful when writing code, especially if you're dealing with other people.

I'd like to recommend Distributed Version Control, such as Git or Mercurial, because they allow for non-linear history, and thus more than one person working on the same project at the same time.

Those sites are hosts for repositories, basically the same heap of backups you have at your own computer as well, only other people can connect to it. If you push the changes you made over the wire once in a while, we can follow your progress without the need for you for having to pack up and upload a .love.

What's more, we can “clone” those repositories (or repos), which simplifies the keeping-up part for us a bit further, but mainly: this allows us, in the event one of us might find a bug, to fix it ourselfs, and put it up on our own public repos. Then we would ask you friendly to pull from our public repo up on GitHub or BitBucket or whatever. This is insanely easy, because it's all under version control. The software can even sort out automatically what to do if you did some work yourself in the meantime most of the time.

Please look into it. Not for our sake (although we still want more .love; we wants it, my precious. Gollem, gollem!), but for your own, for the huge boost in productivity it will give you.

Disclaimer: I should have long been asleep by now. My statements might not make as much sense as usual (ha, if ever) and I apologise if you know perfectly well what VCSes are and I just misunderstood.
The lack of sleep. It makes me see things...
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Wow, you guys all succeed in making it sound more complicated than it is.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

No, I kind of get it. I'll aim for getting it working this week. For today I'm just going to put up an old fashioned forum attachment.

Question, just so I know, Quads don't have to be power of 2, do they? Only the images? A Quad can be any size you want, right? Even if it's 13 pixels by 24. Neither of which are power of two? I want to make sure before I go all out in making my library image as optimized as possible. (Since a lot of my scenery objects will be small things that may or may not be of PO2 sizes.)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Jasoco wrote:No, I kind of get it. I'll aim for getting it working this week. For today I'm just going to put up an old fashioned forum attachment.
You will not regret it.
Jasoco wrote:Question, just so I know, Quads don't have to be power of 2, do they? Only the images? A Quad can be any size you want, right? Even if it's 13 pixels by 24. Neither of which are power of two? I want to make sure before I go all out in making my library image as optimized as possible. (Since a lot of my scenery objects will be small things that may or may not be of PO2 sizes.)
If i can recall, it was just the images that needed to be 2^n.