Game Idea: Werewolf

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Inny
Party member

Game Idea: Werewolf

Post by Inny »

I'm throwing this out there for anyone who may be interested to tackle it. I may try it myself the next time I have some weekend energy to do it. This is a game I used to play when I was a teenager, called "werewolf" or sometimes called "mafia." There's a GMod version of it called "Murder" for those who watch youtube videos.

The idea of the game is that you have a group of players, on outside acting as a moderator, another one of which has a secret that he's a blood thirsty werewolf, and the rest are plain villagers who have to hold a discussion to figure out who the werewolf is. The game progresses in Three Phases. Day, Dusk, and Night. During the day the players are free to make wild accusations, act flippant, deny everything, and form alliances. At Dusk, the players are required to vote to kill another player, with no abstaining allowed, and the simple clear majority winning against the losing player who is killed and removed from the game (and has to promise not to laugh during the next phase). During the Night phase, all of the other players have to close their eyes, and then the werewolf opens his eyes and points as quietly as he can at the player he wants to murder while they sleep. The Moderator gives the thumbs up, the wolf quickly closes his eyes as not to be caught, and the Moderator wakes up the other players to announce who was murdered (that player has to also leave the game). Then the game continues with a new Day phase where everyone blames whoever voted for that guy the day before. The game keeps going until the villagers figure out who the wolf is and successfully vote to kill him, or until the last day when the wolf convinces the remaining two players to vote against each other so that he can kill them at Dusk and then at Night, leaving himself as the only one alive.

Here's a Wikipedia Link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29

Anyway, it's a really fun party game to play. The relevance to the Love community is that I think it'd make a fun concept to turn into some kind of client-server chatting game. I've seen a few concepts where people put together dice-throwing role-playing games in this fashion. And hell, this may already exist (which I'm sure either robin or slime will immediately point me at :P).
Plu
Inner party member

Re: Game Idea: Werewolf

Post by Plu »

My girlfriend plays this game a lot, but she uses a forum for it. I'm planning to build specific forum software for this game if I find the motivation, but it would be in PHP, not löve.

But it's a very popular game indeed and you'd probably make some friends if you build a chat or web client for it.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Yeah, when this game is played online it's usually played on a forum, using PMs for everything that goes on during the night phase.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

I had played in on IRC. Gentlemen's agreement to prevent PRIVMSG cheating.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

It could be a fun thing to try out a round on the forums. I would be first to join :)
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Inny wrote:I had played in on IRC. Gentlemen's agreement to prevent PRIVMSG cheating.
IRC is probably one of the best ways to do it. Espernet's #werewolf has a channel dedicated to the game.

You could easily make a bot and have a werewolf channel on OFTC (if there isn't one already), or someone could totally make an app for it and put it in the Projects & Demos section. Depends.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

NightKawata wrote:IRC is probably one of the best ways to do it. Espernet's #werewolf has a channel dedicated to the game.
Exactly where I used to play it too. :D
ettiejgva
Prole

Post by ettiejgva »

I'd definitely play that.