Binary Color Picross

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
retrotails
Party member

Binary Color Picross

Post by retrotails »

2014-03-07-001438_1920x1080_scrot.png
2014-03-07-001438_1920x1080_scrot.png (61.43 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Controls:
Escape: Quit
Arrow keys: Move
Enter: Select block
Left ctrl: Mark as empty
Backspace: Go to previous menu
Top row of numbers: Switch between boards (See "Board 1 of x" at the bottom of your puzzle)
Also, page up/page down can switch between puzzles now.

Old post seemed too old to bump, plus this is a massive improvement. Originally called 3D picross because it adds a new dimension, but it's really separate from the actual 3D Picross. Also there is a 'color picross' but it's just normal 2D picross and it shows you some color as you solve it.
Okay, so for those who don't know, Picross is a number puzzle with a grid where each block can only be on or off. (See the old LÖVE demo, "NO") Using this, and some binary math, you can chain multiple boards together and make pictures with more colors. Every board doubles the number of colors. All you need is to define a color palette (unless you use greyscale.)

My game automatically takes images and makes puzzles from them - this demo has the puzzle saved only as a PNG file (under the /puzzles folder, if you want to change it to your own - keep it at/below 64x64 and 16 colors) It automatically creates a palette (with every single color, so be careful) and makes the puzzle for you. Be warned, because of the unpredictable nature, some puzzles may be impossible to solve without guesswork, and some may have multiple solutions (which of course don't create the exact same image.) Also if you choose an image with more then 16 colors, you'll have more then 4 puzzles to solve for one image!

History:
v1.0:
- Initial release
v2.0
- Added:
: Menu
: Controller support & configuration
: Multiple puzzles
: Mouse support
: Better font rendering and resolution support
Last edited by retrotails on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
retrotails
Party member

Re: Binary Color Picross

Post by retrotails »

Pretty massive update. Only known issues: Options/controller will crash if you don't have a controller connected, and some images won't convert without crashing. Also at least 1 included puzzle has multiple solutions, one is impossible to solve without guessing, the game doesn't save anything, it doesn't tell you when you've completed a puzzle, you can't change any options without quitting the game, it doesn't have music, it doesn't have a title screen, and it only has 1 background. Once I fix all that and add/test a bunch of puzzles, I'll consider it complete. I'm open to suggestions as well.
TimeLoop
Prole

Post by TimeLoop »

retrotails wrote:Pretty massive update. Only known issues: Options/controller will crash if you don't have a controller connected
Why not set some error handling instead letting the game to just crash?

BTW, well done.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

TimeLoop wrote:
retrotails wrote:Pretty massive update. Only known issues: Options/controller will crash if you don't have a controller connected
Why not set some error handling instead letting the game to just crash?

BTW, well done.
I already have code to detect if a controller is connected, so really no reason. I just did 99% of my testing after starting the post, and it was 6 AM. Speaking of, it's 6:30 AM right now and I haven't slept yet, which is why I don't have time/awareness to open the project and fix the issue. And I will of course forget about it/ignore it until about the same time tomorrow.
So to answer your question; A stupid sleep schedule and a lack of organizational skills.
Oh, and thanks. I do quite like how the game turned out myself. Spent several hours taking random sprite art off the internet and solving it in picross form. If you want to do the same, don't use a non-square image, those will crash. Until the next update, which I actually finished yesterday.