0.9.0 ubuntu install issues

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: 0.9.0 ubuntu install issues

Post by veethree »

bartbes wrote:It lists 12.04 up to and including 13.10.
Oh. I thought it said 12.04 and 13.10, Guess i figured those 2 were somehow significant versions.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

shatterblast wrote:I believe versions above 12.04 could probably compile the source without using the PPA.
The ppa binary debs were all built from the same source deb on 12.04 on the build server. In fact, the reason there's only one deb listed is because I copied it to every release after.
So yes, you can compile it on 12.04 too, you can even compile it on older versions if you patch a few tiny things. (Considering 12.04 is the LTS I figured few people would be behind that, but I tend to support versions until the build breaks.)

About the file associations.. yes, I kind of changed the way they're supposed to be installed and never tested it, assuming it still works. The association should be back in 0.9.1 though.
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

veethree wrote:
bartbes wrote:It lists 12.04 up to and including 13.10.
Oh. I thought it said 12.04 and 13.10, Guess i figured those 2 were somehow significant versions.
For what it is worth, Ubuntu isn't officially offering any but those two versions on its main site anyhow. I'm sure that won't stop anyone from downloading the other versions if necessary though for upgrades and such.
bartbes wrote: About the file associations.. yes, I kind of changed the way they're supposed to be installed and never tested it, assuming it still works. The association should be back in 0.9.1 though.
Thank you for that. Also, good job to you for updating the "Animations and LOVE" file so quickly.
nfey
Citizen

Post by nfey »

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as the OP, but with more trouble, since I'm pretty new with Ubuntu (and Linux in general).
Trying to execute liblove in Ubuntu Software Center throws an error, "Dependency is not satisfiable: libsdl2 (>=2.0.1)". Doing the same for Love throws "Dependency is not satisfiable: liblove(=0.9.0)".
I see using Love 0.8.0 is a workaround, but I'd prefer 0.9.0.
It's not clear to me how veethree fixed this. The answer is in the first 4 posts, but I'm not sure all the needed commands are written in plain there.
I don't know what "using libsdl2 package in the ppa" means. Reading those posts, I *think* I need to run the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install love

But how can I make sure this will install 0.9.0?
Can someone with better Linux packaging/apt-get knowledge chime in?
Also I think this should be pinned and linked from the front page - 12.04 is the Ubuntu long term release version and the front page advertises that Love works on it.
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

I think that apt-get command always installs the latest version. I ran the three commands you mentioned and it worked.
nfey
Citizen

Post by nfey »

OK, thanks for the update, I'll try it tonight and let you know if it worked.
nfey
Citizen

Post by nfey »

OK, it worked. I ran the following commands in the console:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install love
And the physics tutorial worked this time (it wasn't working on my previous version). Can't wait to get some time to start playing around with the physics engine :D

I think this info should be mentioned somewhere on the download page...
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

I, too had to update to 13.10 before bartbes' ppas worked.
Now they're running fine.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
EvgeniyP
Prole

Post by EvgeniyP »

Hey, guys.
Is there a way to install on ubuntu 14.04?
PPA repository doesn't work.
When I try to compile sources it warns we C++11 compiler is needed.