Motion fuzziness

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
nagosh
Prole

Motion fuzziness

Post by nagosh »

Hi everyone,

This is my first project in Lua and Love2d and I've heard great things about the community, so hopefully you guys will be able to help me out! I've typed all that I could think of into google already so as not to create threads that have already been discussed but I don't think I've found anything similar to my problem, let alone an answer.

Anyway, I'm creating an isometric view for an rpg and I have the camera focused on the main character. The main character stays centered on the screen. I've put in a few other objects to experiment with but I've noticed something when I started moving around. The objects are a little bit blurry around the edges when they move. It almost looks like it's vibrating. It makes my eyes hurt

I'm not sure if this is my brain doing it (as I've noticed that is the answer to some other topics) but this doesn't happen in other games I play so I was wondering if anyone has a similar problem and a solution for it.

Thanks

(If you guys want to see the code I can put that up, too.)
Attachments
project.love
(205.35 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
micha
Inner party member

Re: Motion fuzziness

Post by micha »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I believe, what you are seeing there, is an optical illusion. When I played you file, I saw it, too, but when I tried to capture a screenshot, it was gone again. That means that each single image is correct, only from the motion it looks fuzzy. Can you try using some real game images, instead of the placeholders? I believe, the fuzziness comes from the high contrast and the sharp edges.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I don't see any blurring. But I do know when you use such solid colors like that (Like bright blue, green or red), some monitors will have blurring. Depends on your monitor quality.

Edit: Contrast! That's the word I was looking for. Beaten to the punch.
JovialFeline
Prole

Post by JovialFeline »

Would like to chime in that it may not just be your eyes messing with you. The high contrast is certainly making my eyes burn, but I've also noticed that your player image will jitter around while moving, and that the amount of jitter differs depending on what direction you're moving in. It's minimal if I go straight east/west, while going north/south makes it more obvious.

It's difficult for me to tell for sure but if the rest of your map is drawn in a similar way, it might be exhibiting the same behavior. I'm gonna go give my eyes a break for now, though.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

It seems to be caused by your flooring of the main character's coordinates in its draw and getCameraPosition methods. Removing the flooring fixes the camera jittering but makes seams in your background tiles visible, which is a whole other issue.
nagosh
Prole

Post by nagosh »

Thanks for all your comments!

I've also tried it without the flooring and I still get the fuzziness around the objects. The reason why I added the flooring was because of the tiles. I thought that if the camera wasn't on an exact pixel it would show those lines and so flooring it made everything go to one pixel and looks fine.

I was also wondering about the contrast of the colors; however, if I slow down the character movement that fuzziness does disappear, which makes me believe it could be an optical illusion. But for some reason I doubt it.

I'm wondering if I'm coding the camera wrong or something. I am inexperienced I may not be doing it optimally which is causing this fuzziness. There obviously has to be a right way to do since other games don't have this problem, lol.

Thanks for all your help!
nagosh
Prole

Post by nagosh »

I just read that it is highly recommended to use the 32 bit version of love. I believe I'm using the 64 bit. Would that make a difference in how things work/look?
nagosh
Prole

Post by nagosh »

So I got some art from the graphic designer of the game. I also deleted all the math.floor in the placement of the objects and the fuzziness has been reduced a lot. I do believe it was the quality of images I was using for the place holders. There is still a bit of fuzziness as the objects move, but this, I think, is more of the optical illusion that I would expect.

Thank you everyone for your input!
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

nagosh wrote:I just read that it is highly recommended to use the 32 bit version of love. I believe I'm using the 64 bit. Would that make a difference in how things work/look?
64 bit is for 64 bit machines, a 64 bit machine can run both but 64 bit are faster. The API and the drawing system are the same.
nagosh
Prole

Post by nagosh »

So I haven't changed much of my code from before other than making it a little bit more organized, but I haven't noticed the fuzziness from before. Last time I contributed it to the low resolution of my placeholders. But I'm not too sure now. After finally getting borders around my map I wanted to do a stress test and see if I could tunnel through them. So I ramped up the speed of my character to far faster than what would happen in the game and then something strange happened. The fuzziness is back but much more exaggerated. And I don't think I would call it fuzziness anymore. It's much more obvious now what's happening. Well, the problem at least. I'm really not sure what's going on in the code to make what's happening happen. Since my timer isn't blurring I thought it might be how I have my camera implemented but what's even more puzzling is that this does not occur if the object is on the edge of the map.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
experiment.love
(677.66 KiB) Downloaded 194 times