Pop v3 (simple mouse game)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
veethree
Inner party member

Pop v3 (simple mouse game)

Post by veethree »

So not too long ago i decided to (again) remake one of my first games ever, Pop. Mainly because since i made that version i've learned a lot, And i wanted to see how i could improve it. But then i kinda lost interest. But i thought that what i had was pretty neat so i decided to share it for shits and giggles and maybe some feedback.

The gameplay is pretty sketchy, There is no way to lose at the moment, You can just pop bubble infinitely. But the aesthetics are pretty nice in my opinion.

The game requires 0.9.0, Shader support and canvas support, And it's currently locked at the resolution of 1280x720, But most elements work at other resolutions.

Gameplay:
You play a cannibal bubble that consumes other bubbles for points. Certain bubbles affect your size, My plan was to make it so you lose if you get too fat, So you'd have to watch what bubbles you eat or you explode or something, But that hasn't been implemented yet.

Bubble Types:
Basic: Score + 1
scale_up: Scales you up by your current radius / 8
scale_down:Scales you down by your current radius / 8
double_score: Doubles your current score
scale_half: Scales you down by half
scale_double: doubles your size

HUD Explanation:
Larger number: Time
Smaller number: Score

In-game menu with images of the bubbles and their names available any time by pressing and holding TAB

Screenshot:

Controls:
Player follows the mouse
escape: Exit
p: Pause
Tab: Legend

Chroma shift shader (to my knowledge) written by vrld, Blur shader (to my knowledge) written by slime. Both from this thread. (i'd link to their specific replies but i don't know how, They're both on the first 2 pages though.)

If you notice any bugs, have some feature ideas, or just general feedback, I'd love to hear it. Perhaps that would inspire me to continue working on this.

Bugs i'm aware of:
The "Paused" notification in the pause "menu" is blurred out.
Attachments
Pop v3.love
(73.77 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Last edited by veethree on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadByte
Party member

Re: Pop v3 (simple mouse game)

Post by MadByte »

It's reaaally cool. I like the smoothness it has. Also everything you make is kinda inspirational for me because it is simple & clean, I really love that fact.
Too bad that you don't want to finish the game, visually it's pretty good and the gameplay you imagine of sounds nice, too.
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

MadByte wrote:It's reaaally cool. I like the smoothness it has. Also everything you make is kinda inspirational for me because it is simple & clean, I really love that fact.
Too bad that you don't want to finish the game, visually it's pretty good and the gameplay you imagine of sounds nice, too.
Glad i can be an inspiration. haha.

I've actually been messing with this since i posted it, Might actually work in it some more, At least fix up the gameplay.
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Ah! I get the following error message:
shader.lua 4: Sorry, your graphics card does not support shaders.
That's news to me as the attached shader (and lots of others) run just fine.
Edit: Esc to exit. Question - is there a standard exit key to be provided for borderless windows?
Attachments
ripples.love
Simple shader
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

Ref wrote:Ah! I get the following error message:
shader.lua 4: Sorry, your graphics card does not support shaders.
That's news to me as the attached shader (and lots of others) run just fine.
Edit: Esc to exit. Question - is there a standard exit key to be provided for borderless windows?
That's actually a shader i wrote myself (not used in the game) so i may have fucked up so colossally your graphics card became confused. I removed it and updated the .love.

I'm also curious about borderless window exit keys. Wouldn't it just be alt+f4/cmd+q (or whatever the mac equivalent was, i forget)
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

This is nice, I also like how the colors slowly change, very soothing little game!
Chèvre
Prole

Post by Chèvre »

It looks really good!

It could become more interesting if there was some sort of challenge, a way to lose. Losing if you get too fat might be a start. Maybe some bubbles could take a longer time to absorb, and they could be worth more. Maybe clicking could attract bubbles like a hoover, while making your own bubble fatter to compensate (if being too fat makes you lose). There's a ton of possibilities!