StackMachine: Build pipline for LÖVE games

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
conroy
Prole

Re: StackMachine: Build pipline for LÖVE games

Post by conroy »

jjmafiae wrote:games that's compiled (exes and .apps) do not use the love folder.
That's not entirely true. If those games are saving data, then they will be putting data into their own folder in the save directory.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

I would use it just to be a slacker and make Mac app/windows.exe out of my games if it did not add the "POWERED BY STACKMACHINE".

It is very cool, don't get me wrong ;)
conroy
Prole

Post by conroy »

Germanunkol wrote:Currently, the linux issue is keeping me from using Stackmachine more, not the lack of 0.9.0 support.
Great to hear. I'll prioritize Linux support. My plan is to generate a .love file that Linux users can run. That work?
conroy
Prole

Post by conroy »

Jeeper wrote:I would use it just to be a slacker and make Mac app/windows.exe out of my games if it did not add the "POWERED BY STACKMACHINE".
Totally understand where you are coming from. The game checks for updates during the splash screen, so I need to display something other than a black screen. The plan is to add the ability to upload a custom splash image that will replace the default. The question I have for you is this: Would you mind a small "powered by StackMachine" in the corner of your custom splash image?
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

conroy wrote:
Jeeper wrote:I would use it just to be a slacker and make Mac app/windows.exe out of my games if it did not add the "POWERED BY STACKMACHINE".
Totally understand where you are coming from. The game checks for updates during the splash screen, so I need to display something other than a black screen. The plan is to add the ability to upload a custom splash image that will replace the default. The question I have for you is this: Would you mind a small "powered by StackMachine" in the corner of your custom splash image?
I was going address the splash screen as well, and it's good to know that it actually has a purpose! :ultrahappy:

A small logo in the corner of a custom splash would be fine. I'm all for supporting the developers of this system, but I would prefer to do it in a less obstructive way. ^^
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

conroy wrote:
Germanunkol wrote:Currently, the linux issue is keeping me from using Stackmachine more, not the lack of 0.9.0 support.
Great to hear. I'll prioritize Linux support. My plan is to generate a .love file that Linux users can run. That work?
Yes, that should do fine. Thanks for listening to the feedback! :)

About the splash screen: Personally, I don't mind it, really. A custom one would be cool, of course, but I also understand that you want to show your logo - after all, it's your software doing the work.
What would be cool though is to allow the game's creator to configure the splash screen more. For example, while uploading, there could be an interface allowing the player to configure:
- custom message for this version (for example.: "New version adds yellow dots!")
- enable/disable version number display
- enable/disable button to opt-out of update
- enable/disable display of MBs left, download speed (MB/s)
- enable/disable a download destination browser (this would be more involved. I don't know how exactly your architecture runs - only have linux atm - it's probably downloading to the love save dir? So this might require some changes, don't know if it's possible.)

One more thing: The version numbering is bugging me a litte. I uploaded versions 1 to 4 of trAInsported, only because your version numbering automatically adds a 0.1 to each version number. Could you maybe only use the version numbering internally, and externally disaplay a version number that the game's creator chose when uploading? Then I would only have to upload one of the outdated versions, for example.

Edit:
- The "join the stack machine Beta" link on the dashboard is broken.
- Will there be a way to browse through all uploaded games?
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

conroy wrote:
That would obviously be a much better idea in my opinion, however I would much rather place an image with the StackMachine logo that is clickable and leads to your website in for an example the credits screen. I also feel like "powered by" is a bit of a strong word, makes it sound like it is the engine ^^. I have no trouble giving credit to everything that contributes in my games, Just like to choose where and when :).
conroy
Prole

Post by conroy »

Germanunkol wrote:What would be cool though is to allow the game's creator to configure the splash screen more. For example, while uploading, there could be an interface allowing the player to configure:
Great list of ideas. The splash screen is basic right now, but I'll definitely considering adding some of these options.
Germanunkol wrote:Could you maybe only use the version numbering internally, and externally disaplay a version number that the game's creator chose when uploading?
This is actually what I was going to do originally. I'll generate a "suggested" version number that you can override.
Germanunkol wrote:The "join the stack machine Beta" link on the dashboard is broken.
Whoops. All fixed.
Germanunkol wrote:Will there be a way to browse through all uploaded games?
Not for a while. I want to focus on making StackMachine a platform for developers to automate all their non-game related tasks, not a marketplace for consumers. I do plan on adding itch.io integration.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

conroy wrote:
Germanunkol wrote:Will there be a way to browse through all uploaded games?
Not for a while. I want to focus on making StackMachine a platform for developers to automate all their non-game related tasks, not a marketplace for consumers. I do plan on adding itch.io integration.
It might actually be a good idea to not add a way to browse through the games. The platform might suffer in reputation if the quality of games isn't that great. (Sort of what happend to indiecity.com, in my opinion.) And since this is a great platform for uploading/updating unfinished alphas/betas... maybe you should stick with not making it browsable.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
conroy
Prole

Post by conroy »

Good news everyone, StackMachine now supports LÖVE 0.9.0. You can read more about it on the blog.

If you're using 0.9.0, just make sure to update your conf.lua.

Code: Select all

function love.conf(t)
  t.version = "0.9.0"
end
Creating a release works just like before, just upload your game's lovefile to get started.