what OS are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

What Linux are you using?

Linux
35%
Windows
48%
Mac
15%
Other (Please specify in a reply)
2%

Total votes: 84

MadByte
Party member

Re: what OS are you using?

Post by MadByte »

shatterblast wrote: First of all, you should start with 12.04 because it doesn't require a re-install every 6 months. 13.10 is nice if you want beta-like cutting edge features, but the *.10 releases can sometimes end up unstable, which doesn't reflect well on Linux.
I'll try that :)
shatterblast wrote: Next, on your speed, make sure your install is x64 and that your video drivers are up to date. If you have an nVidia video card, that might cause trouble. If you have an ATI (AMD) card, then getting the correct driver can be a bit difficult yet rewarding.
The problem is, I've got an "Dual Graphics" AMD system with two ati gpu's. I installed the newest drivers manually from the amd.com page but that doesn't worked either. I guess it's because of the two cards. I also tried to switch from the integrated gpu to the discrete gpu via the amdconfig tool but it doesn't seems to work.
shatterblast wrote: Send me a message if you want, and I'll help as I can. On the flip side, you could also try Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon like jjmafiae. I like Ubuntu though, especially with Gnome.
Thanks for your offer.
I prefer Ubuntu with a vanilla GNOME 3 desktop manager installed. I don't get why Canonical started using this Unity nonsense.
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

MadByte wrote: The problem is, I've got an "Dual Graphics" AMD system with two ati gpu's. I installed the newest drivers manually from the amd.com page but that doesn't worked either. I guess it's because of the two cards. I also tried to switch from the integrated gpu to the discrete gpu via the amdconfig tool but it doesn't seems to work.
Getting "Dual Graphics" to work may require disabling IOMMU and discrete GPU in your system's BIOS.

IOMMU helps increase the performance of virtual machines when enabled. You can't just disable the discrete GPU in the regular system settings to my understanding.
Last edited by shatterblast on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
crunchy
Prole

Post by crunchy »

I'm on arch linux most of the time. I like its simplicity.
For the rest of the time I am using fedora and sometimes MS Win 7.
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

Arch linux with AwesomeWM (No DE).
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »