Complete Lack of Viral Capability

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Complete Lack of Viral Capability

Post by Robin »

Luiji wrote:there really is no need for sandboxing as long as we players just run do a quick look through the code.
Robin wrote:for me sandboxing LÖVE isn't so much to make it “safe” as for the reason that a game has no business with most of my data.
(And by the way, in the unlikely case anyone contracts anything from a .love, do you really want to say to them “Well, it's your own fault: you should have read the source.”?)
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Wow, this is the first program in which all of my suggestions have all split the community into a Yes and No group. I guess that's good, because it means everybody will point out the good and bad other then me. :D
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Of course, this also means that if this goes wrong, you'll take all the blame. ;)
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Worth it.
Benamas
Prole

Post by Benamas »

Robin wrote:(And by the way, in the unlikely case anyone contracts anything from a .love, do you really want to say to them “Well, it's your own fault: you should have read the source.”?)
if you contract a virus from ANYTHING it's basically always your own fault

never ever open any script or program that doesn't come from a trusted source
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Would you say this is a trusted source since so many people play the games and don't contract anything?
Benamas
Prole

Post by Benamas »

Luiji wrote:Would you say this is a trusted source since so many people play the games and don't contract anything?
mostly; the forum moderators should pull down anything nasty before it spreads very far but you never know

ADDENDUM: the chance is so remote that i consider it acceptable risk and download like crazy anyway BUT you never know
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Benamas wrote:mostly; the forum moderators should pull down anything nasty before it spreads very far but you never know
And of course if this forum grows, the moderators can't always react in time, especially because if someone alerts them they found malware, the mods will have to check whether that's true before acting.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

I figure if five users that I've seen around before don't say anything it's probably safe, right?
Good bye.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Luiji wrote:I figure if five users that I've seen around before don't say anything it's probably safe, right?
But how do you know it's not malware anyway, and they just haven't read the source?
Help us help you: attach a .love.