Good text editor for linux?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
master both
Party member

Re: Good text editor for linux?

Post by master both »

BozoDel wrote:
master both wrote:gedit is really a good option, is really simple and have all the basic thing you will need, also you can configure it for executing you code with a key combination.
Whaaaa? I heard about some plugins that execute Python, but not Lua/LÖVE...
Yeah, with external tools you can run anything, I use this piece of code to run my games :

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

if [ -f $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_DIR/main.lua ]
then
gnome-terminal --title="console" -x love .
elif [ -f $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_DIR/../main.lua ] 
then
gnome-terminal --title="console" -x love ..
else
echo "No main.lua Found!"
fi
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

Sublime Text, hands-down.
It seems to provide the best user experience whilst also being extremely functional.
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

I'm a die-hard GNU Emacs user, but I second the suggestion of Geany since Emacs has a steep learning curve. I feel like Geany has a nice balance between features while being easy to use and learn. And it's cross-platform so that's a plus.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

Update: found out that gedit has some plugins (you can probably get them from the repos).

I think Bookmarks, Bracket Completion and Word Completion will be very useful. Terminal and Text Size don't seem to be working for me, tho.

Also, I saw some people on the forum talking about SciTE, decided to take a look, and it does indeed have some amazing features! But the fact that you'd have to edit some config files to change some things gave me the lazy blues.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Vim is a great Text Editor to learn. It takes an initial getting used to, but it's totally worth it. I recommend anyone wanting to learn to run the vimtutor command (I think every distro has it).

As for "getting it," imagine instead of just typing and whatever you're typing is now up on the screen, imagine that you're having a conversation with the text editor. For instance, the first command everyone learns is insert, which I disagree with, because After is a much more useful command to me. But in your head, the conversation goes "after type some text escape back to start find word replace with new word highlight yank go down some lines paste" and so on and so forth, which each easy thing you want to do being a single letter command.

This classic stackoverflow post talks about "groking vi" and says basically the same thing. After you've done it for a while it becomes second nature.

The problem is that the muscle memory starts to interfere with your other text editors. Like in thunderbird I try to copy and paste some text and end up with garbage like "veyp" (visual end yank past) in the middle of the sentence.
Santos
Party member

Post by Santos »

Textadept is another option.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Inny wrote:Vim is a great Text Editor to learn. It takes an initial getting used to, but it's totally worth it. I recommend anyone wanting to learn to run the vimtutor command (I think every distro has it).

As for "getting it," imagine instead of just typing and whatever you're typing is now up on the screen, imagine that you're having a conversation with the text editor. For instance, the first command everyone learns is insert, which I disagree with, because After is a much more useful command to me. But in your head, the conversation goes "after type some text escape back to start find word replace with new word highlight yank go down some lines paste" and so on and so forth, which each easy thing you want to do being a single letter command.

This classic stackoverflow post talks about "groking vi" and says basically the same thing. After you've done it for a while it becomes second nature.

The problem is that the muscle memory starts to interfere with your other text editors. Like in thunderbird I try to copy and paste some text and end up with garbage like "veyp" (visual end yank past) in the middle of the sentence.
After reading your post, I started getting into vim (again). I'm a little scared of the fact that afterwards, I won't ge able to use any other text editor any more...
Do you have any recommendation for where to continue after finishing vimtutor? It teaches the basic commands, and for everything else I started googling commands, but I think vim is only really useful when you understand the commands you're writing - and googling them usually doesn't help much.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Germanunkol wrote:After reading your post, I started getting into vim (again). I'm a little scared of the fact that afterwards, I won't ge able to use any other text editor any more...
Do you have any recommendation for where to continue after finishing vimtutor? It teaches the basic commands, and for everything else I started googling commands, but I think vim is only really useful when you understand the commands you're writing - and googling them usually doesn't help much.
It's not as bad as I made it out to be, though do be aware that you'll be looking for the vim keybindings in other texteditors :P

As for the best way to learn vim once you've run the vimtutor is to immerse yourself. Try doing regular stuff, like working on Lua code, with vim. Vim has built-in help modes and usually typing :help subject can get you pointed in the right direction. Also, get yourself a good vim cheat sheet and read up on each of the buttons.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Inny wrote: As for the best way to learn vim once you've run the vimtutor is to immerse yourself. Try doing regular stuff, like working on Lua code, with vim. Vim has built-in help modes and usually typing :help subject can get you pointed in the right direction. Also, get yourself a good vim cheat sheet and read up on each of the buttons.
Yes, I haven't touched another editor since doing the tutor. But there's a few things I'm unsure about which aren't touched in any cheat sheets. For example: Vim tries to make you navigate with the hjkl keys. This works well after some practice, but in input mode, they're not available. What do you use to navigate in input mode? Or is the idea to exit input mode, navigate, and then move back into input mode? The latter seems more convenient than using the cursor keys...?
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Germanunkol wrote:Yes, I haven't touched another editor since doing the tutor. But there's a few things I'm unsure about which aren't touched in any cheat sheets. For example: Vim tries to make you navigate with the hjkl keys. This works well after some practice, but in input mode, they're not available. What do you use to navigate in input mode? Or is the idea to exit input mode, navigate, and then move back into input mode? The latter seems more convenient than using the cursor keys...?
I never got the hang of hjkl. Instead I setup my arrow keys to be like a regular text editor. When you setup a .vimrc file, you can set whichwrap and nnoremaps to make those keys work as expected. Here's my setup, in case you want to pick it apart: http://pastebin.com/cnhKxtu3