Ross - An Alpha Showcase

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Pigeon
Prole

Ross - An Alpha Showcase

Post by Pigeon »

So, first of all, I'm only showcasing an alpha because I wanna see how my coding is going on, and I think you guys may help me with that. It's the first game that I have developed to this high of a level, and I'm kinda proud of it. See what you guys think :)

A - Left
D - Right
W - Jump
Attachments
Ross Alpha 20.love
Ross Alpha v20
(58.2 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
If I seem aggressive, It's because of my head. Not me. Please do the best you can to deal with it, it's not my fault I'm the way I am. :)
Mermersk
Party member

Re: Ross - An Alpha Showcase

Post by Mermersk »

It's a really nice prototype! The collision works very well. Did you just draw the map or are you using some tile-painting-software ?
Pigeon
Prole

Post by Pigeon »

Mermersk wrote:It's a really nice prototype! The collision works very well. Did you just draw the map or are you using some tile-painting-software ?
I'm using Tiled to create the maps, then Advanced Tiled Loader to load them into Love. It's a bit like the tutorial on ExplodingRabbit, but just with my own style to it. I did the graphics myself, and the character is just a square at the moment. And thank you by the way! It means a lot that you like it!
If I seem aggressive, It's because of my head. Not me. Please do the best you can to deal with it, it's not my fault I'm the way I am. :)
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

Nice little demo. The collision seems on point.

I had some trouble running it though, First i tried with löveliness, Got me an error, So i downloaded the .love and it worked the first time, Tried to run it again and got the same error. So i extracted the zip and ran it by dragging the folder over the löve executable, And i got the rubber piggy.

I suspect those issues have nothing to do with your game though, I am running os x 10.9 (mavericks) and i recall seeing a post talking about löve having some compatibility issues with it.
DSSiege11
Prole

Post by DSSiege11 »

I'm getting an error too :(

player/SpriteAnimation.lua:81: Incorrect parameter type: expected userdata.

EDIT: I'm getting the error on Windows 7
Last edited by DSSiege11 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I'm getting the error on OSX 10.6.8.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

cool, i like it.
Pigeon
Prole

Post by Pigeon »

Sorry about the errors, it does happen. Just run it again and see if it works :)
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Its due to you naming images/stuff with a capital letter in the code and not on the actual picture (or vice versa).
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Pigeon wrote:Sorry about the errors, it does happen. Just run it again and see if it works :)
Thats not the real solution ;(
The error comes from this line:

Code: Select all

frame = math.random(1,20),
in player/coin.lua:10, and then

Code: Select all

coinSprites:start(coins[i].frame)
in main.lua.
Basically if frame number is larger than the actual number of frames (which you do not check for in player/SpriteAnmation.lua), you get nil instead of a quad.
Tha fix is either to check for number of frames, or change random value to 1 ("frame=1" in player/coin.lua)
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples