what OS are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

What Linux are you using?

Linux
35%
Windows
48%
Mac
15%
Other (Please specify in a reply)
2%

Total votes: 84

jjmafiae
Party member

Re: what OS are you using?

Post by jjmafiae »

windows 8 made me switch to linux because i hated it.
cpellens
Prole

Post by cpellens »

Windows and Linux. Windows for compatibility and linux just because I like it more than windows.
Once the majority of what I use on windows is available on linux, I'm switching permanently.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

DaedalusYoung wrote:That's because they copied Mac OS X.
Really? I'm using OS X quite a lot (it's on my fiancée's computer) and I don't see it. Ubuntu has copied a lot from OS X though (and that's a good thing) but Windows 8 is pretty different from those two. I find that having Metro apps as an alternative to traditional desktop applications is very nice; the simplified interface is often a much more elegant solution. Having a good unified notification system is really nice too (mostly for seeing Facebook and Skype messages when playing Minecraft for me).
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Well, I don't know, I haven't seen any new Windowses lately. The last time I saw it though, I noticed they had a lot of copied features, such as an Exposé-like thing and 'hold shift for slow motion animations', so I figured they just kept stealing.
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

I don't know how these polls work, But if possible you should allow people to select multiple options. I personally use windows, linux and os x.
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

I play Final Fantasy 14 on Windows 7, my development and browsing inside Ubuntu Linux 12.04, and I play games on my 1st gen iPad when away from home.

I voted Linux since that's what I'm on now, but I figure I use all three.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

nobody using linux mint like me? that's a really good version of linux!
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

jjmafiae wrote:nobody using linux mint like me? that's a really good version of linux!
Linux Mint is the most popular distribution at this time, but I like my Gnome environment with the Ubuntu core. I might try it in the future, but the last time I tried Mint, I had problems with the source downloads for updates and so on. I believe Mint takes after Debian now so the problem with downloading software from repositories has likely disappeared.

I'm glad you like it, jjmafiae. Welcome to Linux! :ultrahappy:
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

For years I jumped back and forth between Windows and Linux, but I've been using Ubuntu exclusively as my operating system since 7.04. But I still use Windows 7 and 8 via virtual machines for testing purposes.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

In my line of work (Ruby on Rails, although at the moment I work in Lua nearly full time) the only real options are Mac or Ubuntu.

I used to have a bulky 17'' laptop with Ubuntu and I did all my work there.

One day I bought a Macbook Air, and ditched the other one. I don't need upgradeability on my laptop, and Airs are just nicer - more power-per-gram, and more little things done right. (It took me a while to get used to the keyboard layout though). In my case it was not a software solution (I work in a console in both cases, using mostly the same tools) but a hardware one.

I have a reasonably powerful desktop PC with Windows 7 on it. I use it for games only, and since its partition filled up (20GB is not enough for Windows, duh) I rarely boot it. I would never use windows for development - its console support is flakey, and I don't feel like installing the tools for making it palatable.
When I write def I mean function.