Lovely Mario project needs contributors

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Re: Lovely Mario project needs contributors

Post by Deecodeuh »

Does the ship blow up when it launches?? :P
If we did that, it wouldn't just be aliens walking around that you jump on their heads.
The protagonist would probably need a weapon or something.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Deecodeuh wrote:Does the ship blow up when it launches?? :P
If we did that, it wouldn't just be aliens walking around that you jump on their heads.
The protagonist would probably need a weapon or something.
The ship doesn't blow up when it launches. The aliens just abduct everybody within the radius from the launchpad to the ship in the sky in that moment. The ship just happens to be just above the protagonist and his girlfriend when they begin the abduction. :neko:

Yeah, I thought about the fact that he would need a weapon or something... but maybe at first he encounters, idk, alien pests on the mothership which he can jump on. Then, he finds a weapon, maybe a beam sword or something... maybe this could play out like Wonderboy in Monsterland? :roll: I don't know. Get on AIM so we can discuss this. :ultraglee:

We haven't talked in a while... :cry:.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

partymetroid wrote:We haven't talked in a while... :cry:.
We don't need to know that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
schme16
Party member

Post by schme16 »

You can count me in for whatever you need... programming wise that is :ultrahappy:
lemme know what I can do and I'll be sure to... err... do it? hmmm... well lucky code is my forte NOT grammer
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

schme16 wrote:You can count me in for whatever you need... programming wise that is :ultrahappy:
lemme know what I can do and I'll be sure to... err... do it? hmmm... well lucky code is my forte NOT grammer
I'm sure Deecodeuh would LÖVE for you to help... if he would come online. :x

Well, since we have a potential team member, I'll post the outline for the story I made the other day and had sent to Deecodeuh.
  1. The alien species (hereby called, for ease of explanation, "The Subjugators") that has abducted the hero and everyone else in the area of the space ship launch has traveled to, conquered, and enslaved many galaxies in the universe by means of... I don't know:...
    • Black holes... ?
    • Wormholes with randomized trajectories... ?
    • Wormholes created by an even more ancient but peaceful species (hereby called, for ease of explanation, "The Harmonizers")... ? (If we do indeed go this route then I have more ideas; check 2-A-II.)
  2. The Subjugators set probes on an endless routine trip through arbitrarily-chosen galaxies. Near the time of our first radio signals, the probes are set on a mission in the Milky Way. They passed within so-many-light-years of us and then become interested in us, because they found a new species to conquer and that...
    1. We now have faster-than-light space-faring technology. The aliens feel this is bad for them, because they believe we may become competition for them in the future, and
      1. because we have developed interstellar technology only a few centuries after industrialization. They know this through translation of our radio signals.
      2. because our planet is relatively close to the ancient aliens' home star system (by "relative" I mean a distance which we would be able to reach, by the attacking aliens' estimates, sometime in the near future. And by "sometime" I mean... ah heck, how am I supposed to know how aliens estimate?) [This idea holds true if the intergalactic travel system was indeed developed by The Harmonizers.]
... those are all the ideas I have for now. :)
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

partymetroid wrote:
schme16 wrote:You can count me in for whatever you need... programming wise that is :ultrahappy:
I'm sure Deecodeuh would LÖVE for you to help... if he would come online. :x

Well, since we have a potential team member, I'll post the outline for the story I made the other day and had sent to Deecodeuh.
  1. The alien species (hereby called, for ease of explanation, "The Subjugators") that has abducted the hero and everyone else in the area of the space ship launch has traveled to, conquered, and enslaved many galaxies in the universe by means of... I don't know:...
    • Black holes... ?
    • Wormholes with randomized trajectories... ?
    • Wormholes created by an even more ancient but peaceful species (hereby called, for ease of explanation, "The Harmonizers")... ? (If we do indeed go this route then I have more ideas; check 2-A-II.)
  2. The Subjugators set probes on an endless routine trip through arbitrarily-chosen galaxies. Near the time of our first radio signals, the probes are set on a mission in the Milky Way. They passed within so-many-light-years of us and then become interested in us, because they found a new species to conquer and that...
    1. We now have faster-than-light space-faring technology. The aliens feel this is bad for them, because they believe we may become competition for them in the future, and
      1. because we have developed interstellar technology only a few centuries after industrialization. They know this through translation of our radio signals.
      2. because our planet is relatively close to the ancient aliens' home star system (by "relative" I mean a distance which we would be able to reach, by the attacking aliens' estimates, sometime in the near future. And by "sometime" I mean... ah heck, how am I supposed to know how aliens estimate?) [This idea holds true if the intergalactic travel system was indeed developed by The Harmonizers.]
... those are all the ideas I have for now. :)
I don't know if I like going that far off of the original concept and even genre of what I had going. I wasn't hoping for a full fledged RPG, but more of a new Super Mario, with plenty of interesting twists, and a little more depth in the story line to make it a great game. I would like to deviate from the Cliché "princess gets kidnapped, mario goes and rescues her", and create a simple, yet deeper story that's not confusing and will be easier to create in code. Right now it all feels overly confusing and complicated.
partymetroid wrote:
Awesome :), I'll keep you posted soon. Thanks!
npepinpe
Prole

Post by npepinpe »

I've been looking at the code, it's fairly easy to understand. Some of your math is faulty though; for example, I pick up speed mid-air during jumps, which is physically impossible and always messes up my jumps. I'm not sure if that was intended or not...

Also, coins fall? It looks like they're stacked; again, I'm not sure if that was intended, but in the originals the coins are definitely floating.

Anyway, is there a todo list or something like that?
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

npepinpe wrote:I've been looking at the code, it's fairly easy to understand. Some of your math is faulty though; for example, I pick up speed mid-air during jumps, which is physically impossible and always messes up my jumps. I'm not sure if that was intended or not...

Also, coins fall? It looks like they're stacked; again, I'm not sure if that was intended, but in the originals the coins are definitely floating.

Anyway, is there a todo list or something like that?
Nice job finding that first bug, I didn't even think of that.
As far as todo goes:
  • I wanted to create some kind of level editor, it wouldn't be that hard to make.
  • I need to improve the plugin system, each object handles drawing itself, etc, and there's way too much redundancy.
There's more to the list, I just can't remember it all right now, I haven't been too involved in this project for the past month. I'll have to start getting into it again.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Deecodeuh wrote:I don't know if I like going that far off of the original concept and even genre of what I had going. I wasn't hoping for a full fledged RPG, but more of a new Super Mario, with plenty of interesting twists, and a little more depth in the story line to make it a great game. I would like to deviate from the Cliché "princess gets kidnapped, mario goes and rescues her", and create a simple, yet deeper story that's not confusing and will be easier to create in code. Right now it all feels overly confusing and complicated.
Sounds fine, but unless the storyline I proposed is just really crappy, I suggest keeping it as a plausible idea. We can always build/remove things... but I digress...

... how about something involving the underworld? :V Maybe a nether-realm you have to save in sequence with the real world...

I don't know, I'm just trying to throw out broad story tropes that can lead to a captivating story that is yet easy to follow.

... maybe I'm failing? :)