Transplant love to iphone/ipad/android by learing Corona?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Transplant love to iphone/ipad/android by learing Corona?

Post by Jasoco »

Well, in terms of a mouse, this is where OS detection comes in. It would detect if you have a Mac/PC (Use mouse), an iPad/iPod/iPhone (Use touch X and Y coordinates, the iDevices can detect a lot of fingers.) or an Android device. (Use touch again) Once it knows the OS, the games would be programmed to take advantage. Like an iPad will always be 1024x768, iPhone will always be (At least until the new ones come out in June) 480x320, a Mac/PC can be whatever. It's all about if...then...else with stuff like that. No big deal.

I'd settle for the Mac version of Löve being able to take advantage of the built-in accelerometer. I'd love to do cool things with physics when I can just tilt my MacBook. (Recieve the angle and turn it into gravity values then watch the blocks and circles fall all over the place.) I know it'd be limited to MacBook's, but who cares? It would still let Mac users with laptops do some cool stuff. It's my dream to program something that can take advantage of tilt detection. That and trackpad gestures. The MacBook trackpads can detect 10 fingers, maybe more. It'd be neat if Löve could take advantage of OS X's gesture recognition. There's a lot of them. Two finger scroll, three finger swipe, four finger, five finger, pinching, rotating. I know PC's wouldn't be able to utilize this stuff, but it would make the Mac versions of our games that much more attractive. Seems a shame to not at least utilize it.

In the case of tilt detection, the PC/Mac desktop version of the game could be setup to use arrow keys to change the "tilt" value so it could still work on a PC/Mac desktop. Just not with the same oomph.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It's cross-platform, not iLove!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

So what? Just because a device has features other ones don't doesn't mean you can't take advantage of them. Why cater to only the lowest common denominator? Why only utilize mouse and keyboard when there are so many other things that can also be taken advantage of? It's all about features and options and doing cool things. But just because Windows users can't do those cool things means Mac users shouldn't be allowed to play with them either?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Of course they can later, I don't believe it's what we need to focus on now.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Oh, I'm not saying they need to throw it in there right now. Any time in the next three weeks will be fine.

Just kidding. :nyu:

I'm just trying to help move the coolness of Löve along.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Jasoco wrote:they
?

EDIT: Oh, and don't think I'm offended or whatever, I'm always at least half-joking.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

bartbes wrote:
Jasoco wrote:they
?
It's the royal they. Like the royal we. Instead of saying he or she.

Edit: I too am always in sarcasm mode so don't take offense to anything I say either. Löve is amazing the way it is. I thank the stars every day that it exists and isn't a piece of crap like so many other prospective game languages/engines I've had to play with in the past. I haven't had this much fun making games since I used to build levels for DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D.
Last edited by Jasoco on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It should have been you, as I am part of they.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:Edit: I too am always in sarcasm mode so don't take offense to anything I say either. Löve is amazing the way it is. I thank the stars every day that it exists and isn't a piece of crap like so many other prospective game languages/engines I've had to play with in the past. I haven't had this much fun making games since I used to build levels for DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D.
:cry:
Help us help you: attach a .love.