SkyStronghold - Multiplayer RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kyle
Party member

Re: SkyStronghold - Multiplayer RTS

Post by Kyle »

I updated the main post with a sample plot of all star systems (not stars) in the game. This is not the actual dataset I'm using, but it looks very similar. It's actually an earlier version. I'm not posting a plot of the final version for many reasons. :P
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Wow i just starred into the screen when i saw the map! Good job!
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Alright, I've been off this project for about a month due to personal issues but I'm back to work now. I've been working on the UI. Buttons wrap around your selection and... well, I don't know how to explain it. It's pretty polished looking now, but I'll be adding some tweening and such to really make it pop.

I don't really even have any art yet, so they're just circles for now:

And here's showing off how they wrap around stuff:

The main thing is that they maintain a certain distance from each other based on arc length. If you get down to where there's not enough space to fit them all around the circle of the given radius, it'll cap off at the minimum radius to maintain even spacing between them all so they form a complete circle. I'll adjust the spacing based on the size of the icons, so the limiting factor will be the number of icons.

Once I start hooking up the logic behind the buttons, I can work on some gameplay related stuff and start planning out how things will flow. This is a good time to discuss that!

When you left click on an object, you select it. It'll flash or something to let you know you selected it and there'll be some basic information on it. Buttons will fly out from underneath it and form a circle/arc (based on how big the object is, anyway) so that they're all in view all the time no matter how you pan the camera.

When you select a planet, you'll get a few options. The first ring of buttons will be these main sections. I'm thinking "Colony", "Stations", and "Resources". These are pretty straightforward. When you click one, more buttons will pop out of them and form another ring (concentric with the first set), possibly connected by dashed lines but I'm not sure yet.

Colony options will include building a new colony or interacting with an existing one. Colonies are mostly autonomous. You can trade with them, but they manage their own operations otherwise. You can set up contracts with them or simply sell them a resource they want. When you choose to build a new colony, you need a certain number of colonists and a suitable habitat for them. The habitat depends on the type of world and its atmospheric conditions. Different things can boost colony growth, like having space stations in orbit. Space elevators help tremendously. The main goal is to keep them supplied with resources; do that, and the colony will grow and serve as an excellent consumer of your resources.

Station options include building a new one and finding existing ones. You can also simply select the station itself, since they're visible in orbit. There are two types of stations - orbiting and actively-positioned. Actively-positioned stations steadily consume fuel to run anti-gravity thrusters. But since they don't need to be moving around a planet to keep from falling, they can be placed anywhere. They're useful for defense platforms, sub-synchronous elevator tethers, and so on. However, it's not really important - the game will be intelligently designed to suggest which type of station to use based on what you're trying to do.

Stations are modular. When you select one, your camera will zoom in on it and you'll be able to see the individual modules and their connections. You'll get buttons for "Management" and "Build Mode". Straightforward, I suppose. Management mode lets you click on individual modules and see their resource flows and other info. Build mode lets you queue up new modules and place them in relation to the other modules. Stations are essentially module nodes connected by large struts, which can optionally have transit lines.

The Resources menu will give you an in-depth view of your mining/harvesting operations on the planet. When you build a colony, you'll get the option to let them handle mining and harvesting operations. If you hand it off to them, you won't have to oversee the operation - just buy it from them. However, this comes at a cost. Managing it yourself means you only pay the upkeep fees on the equipment.

I'll write more soon!
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

I love the graphics!
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Your game crashes on my PC, dunno why I just open it and it immediately says that it's not responding, Windows 7 64bit
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Ranguna259 wrote:Your game crashes on my PC, dunno why I just open it and it immediately says that it's not responding, Windows 7 64bit
ATI syndrome?
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Ranguna259 wrote:Your game crashes on my PC, dunno why I just open it and it immediately says that it's not responding, Windows 7 64bit
Eh, don't worry about it too much. It's going to be on a different build of LOVE soon and I can work out the problems then.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

soon? will it arrive before 2014 then?
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

The plan is to have it out by Christmas because I'm going to college in 2014.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Let's hope that .9.0 will come out before 2014

Best of luck to you and your game Kyle
jjmafiae wrote: ATI syndrome?
I need to have an ATI for that right ? I have a GeForce GPU
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.