gamesquareIDE [BETA RELEASED!] *Update 1*

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
davisdude
Party member

Re: gamesquareIDE [BETA RELEASED!] *Update 1*

Post by davisdude »

Thoughts so far:
I really think that you have put a lot if time and effort in to this and it looks very nice! Keep up the good work! :awesome:
I also realize it's still in alpha.
I like how I wasn't overwhelmed with features. Some programs feature way too many options to the point where it's annoying. It was nice to have only a few options that I could understand.
The standard functions (love.load(), love.draw(), etc.) were not highlighted.
When you had a colon (:) and did a function (such as :getWidth()) it was no highlighted.
The Smart Tabbing added an extra space (I don't know if this was optional or not, but I thought I'd let you know).
For once, I finally agree with Raidho36, you need to implement shortcuts. When I tried to cut something (ctrl + x) it said there was an error and asked if I wanted to keep trying to use it or close the program. I tried to continue, but the error made it impossible to continue, reappearing every time I clicked.
I like how the conf.lua is asked at the start of the project! That's very smart of you!

With the statements above in your mind, I know it's not going to be perfect (it is beta) and I appreciate that. It still preforms solidly and I like it.

P.S: I have a Windows 8 and from what I've heard, you're not missing a ton. You can't have a keypressed and move your mouse at the same time is an annoying flaw (which can be overcome with a plugged in mouse).

ANYWAY, back on topic:
Nice IDE! I think I will switch to it once it is in a fully functional condition! :awesome:
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

davisdude wrote:Thoughts so far:
I really think that you have put a lot if time and effort in to this and it looks very nice! Keep up the good work! :awesome:
I also realize it's still in alpha.
I like how I wasn't overwhelmed with features. Some programs feature way too many options to the point where it's annoying. It was nice to have only a few options that I could understand.
The standard functions (love.load(), love.draw(), etc.) were not highlighted.
When you had a colon (:) and did a function (such as :getWidth()) it was no highlighted.
The Smart Tabbing added an extra space (I don't know if this was optional or not, but I thought I'd let you know).
For once, I finally agree with Raidho36, you need to implement shortcuts. When I tried to cut something (ctrl + x) it said there was an error and asked if I wanted to keep trying to use it or close the program. I tried to continue, but the error made it impossible to continue, reappearing every time I clicked.
I like how the conf.lua is asked at the start of the project! That's very smart of you!

With the statements above in your mind, I know it's not going to be perfect (it is beta) and I appreciate that. It still preforms solidly and I like it.

P.S: I have a Windows 8 and from what I've heard, you're not missing a ton. You can't have a keypressed and move your mouse at the same time is an annoying flaw (which can be overcome with a plugged in mouse).

ANYWAY, back on topic:
Nice IDE! I think I will switch to it once it is in a fully functional condition! :awesome:
Thanks for the LÖVE :).. I am adding keyboard shortcuts in the next update, as it is a feature that should have been there from the beginning I just never got around to it. And I will be fixing the syntax highlighting also, not in the next update but after the HTML5 update.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

It's just I've been developing an enterprise C# .NET app that was overwhelmingly more complicated than this, and it worked just fine, with a couple of minor database driver save-related bugs - because the interface guy was using oversimplified approach to designing the program, he was using RAD only and never bothered to program the interface, and on top of that, he was stick to some obscure UI framework, and it's way of doing certain things was weird to say the least. Like, when user initiates table input, a cell object is deleted and "input" object is created, but you can't get a handle to it so you can't register callbacks, and that object would create new cell object with obtained input when user finalizes the input, and this object also interrupts all other callbacks somehow, like, user can't "save" by hotkey while edit field is opened, it needs to be finalized first. Sometimes user would input an invalid data (data type is picked from the grid) and it won't finalize until user inputs some valid data, and since we can't catch this either, we can't revert to defaults or something. Note that user can't input empty string either - it's always considered "invalid input". And as a result we couldn't catch some exceptions if user messes around with the interface which sometimes led to "stuck state" database error, so the end user had to mess around with "Save" and "Save As" a few times to work that around. But that was solely a framework's problem, other than that it was a charm, and honestly, even though it feels awful to actually do it because at some point the language gets overcomplicated for doing basic things like lightyears over the top, programming C# .NET is super-easy, I expect a high-class software from anyone who uses it.
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

Quick Update
Anyone who wants to get updates on gamesquare follow my Twitter (https://twitter.com/TechcoreStudio).
I will be posting updates and photos of gamesquare and my new projects daily!
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Awesome! Made an account for that reason alone! :awesome:
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

davisdude wrote:Awesome! Made an account for that reason alone! :awesome:
Awesome I'm doing updates this weekend :)