gamesquareIDE [BETA RELEASED!] *Update 1*

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Re: gamesquareIDE [Release Date Announced]

Post by TechcoreStudio »

Murii wrote:Thanks God!
God says "You're Welcome":D.. But yes I am back, even though my new computer is Windows 7 and not Windows 8 blah :p.. I will be sure to update to Windows 8 as soon as I release gamesquare[Beta].
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Re: gamesquareIDE [BETA RELEASED!]

Post by TechcoreStudio »

I just released the beta!!!!! Please read the original post to get the download link and let me know what you think!
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

1) It won't stop displaying LÖVE blogs start page. That's annoying. When I start up an IDE all I want is a crystal clear completely empty layout utterly devoid of any kind of content. But even if that's just me, it will download the page every time with no option to disable which is not desired.
2) When I tried to create a project and pressed the OK button, it threw an exception.
3) When I pressed "return" to jump from function head line to it's body, it auto-ident added 4 tabs. Four tabs. SERIOUSLY?!
4) It would add 4 tabs on every new line ever since, so auto-ident doesn't even works properly.
5) When I typed "love.update" while being in "auto-complete" mode, it replaced it with "love.key 0". Was is das anyway? I don't reckon you can type in Lua that way.
6) It auto-complted the "function" keyword and randomly messed up function head line, so that variable name goes in the middle, arguments in parenthesis after it, function keyword goes to the end and a tab goes to the beginning. When I tried shift-select and delete "function" keyword it threw another exception. This time I pressed "Continue" and it prompted for save. I pressed OK and it hard-crashed.
7) I loaded "saved" data. Of course it didn't saved anything. I've opened default "main.love" and in it, auto-ident would only add one tab. I've figured out that it hates standard Lua syntax of function definition "variable = function ( arguments )". I tried nested loops, and auto-ident didn't auto-idented anything on carriage return. Function blocks highlighting didn't worked properly and stopped at first "end" in the nested loops. I've tried to select and delete the whole loop and it threw an exception. Turns out you can't do that.
8) I've tried to define a table in the beginning of the file. For some reason, auto-ident added a tab there. I've tried auto-complete and it didn't worked for custom table.
9) I wrote an ultra-simple hello-world program and hit ctrl+s and nothing happened. Turns out the program doesn't have any shortcuts but standard .net behavior for "textinput" class. Easily figures that the program author is one of those "how do I wrote vi" kind of people. Probably can't type without looking at the keyboard. Shortcuts are important!
10) When I tried to run the demo, but of course it couldn't do it. Complained that "can't locate LÖVE". Because trying to look it up in default folders is overly complicated task. So I've set it up manually in options and tried again. At least it worked. Then I tried to export the .exe file. The result was pretty amusing:
Failed to find part of path:
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\gamesquare\Love2d-dll\DevIL.dll
Trying to export as HTML5 wasn't as amusing and just it just said "that it's for the future, that could take arbitrairly long, and right now I will just tease you for no reason".
11) At that point I've had enough with this.

Improve.
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

raidho36 wrote:1) It won't stop displaying LÖVE blogs start page. That's annoying. When I start up an IDE all I want is a crystal clear completely empty layout utterly devoid of any kind of content. But even if that's just me, it will download the page every time with no option to disable which is not desired.
2) When I tried to create a project and pressed the OK button, it threw an exception.
3) When I pressed "return" to jump from function head line to it's body, it auto-ident added 4 tabs. Four tabs. SERIOUSLY?!
4) It would add 4 tabs on every new line ever since, so auto-ident doesn't even works properly.
5) When I typed "love.update" while being in "auto-complete" mode, it replaced it with "love.key 0". Was is das anyway? I don't reckon you can type in Lua that way.
6) It auto-complted the "function" keyword and randomly messed up function head line, so that variable name goes in the middle, arguments in parenthesis after it, function keyword goes to the end and a tab goes to the beginning. When I tried shift-select and delete "function" keyword it threw another exception. This time I pressed "Continue" and it prompted for save. I pressed OK and it hard-crashed.
7) I loaded "saved" data. Of course it didn't saved anything. I've opened default "main.love" and in it, auto-ident would only add one tab. I've figured out that it hates standard Lua syntax of function definition "variable = function ( arguments )". I tried nested loops, and auto-ident didn't auto-idented anything on carriage return. Function blocks highlighting didn't worked properly and stopped at first "end" in the nested loops. I've tried to select and delete the whole loop and it threw an exception. Turns out you can't do that.
8) I've tried to define a table in the beginning of the file. For some reason, auto-ident added a tab there. I've tried auto-complete and it didn't worked for custom table.
9) I wrote an ultra-simple hello-world program and hit ctrl+s and nothing happened. Turns out the program doesn't have any shortcuts but standard .net behavior for "textinput" class. Easily figures that the program author is one of those "how do I wrote vi" kind of people. Probably can't type without looking at the keyboard. Shortcuts are important!
10) When I tried to run the demo, but of course it couldn't do it. Complained that "can't locate LÖVE". Because trying to look it up in default folders is overly complicated task. So I've set it up manually in options and tried again. At least it worked. Then I tried to export the .exe file. The result was pretty amusing:
Failed to find part of path:
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\gamesquare\Love2d-dll\DevIL.dll
Trying to export as HTML5 wasn't as amusing and just it just said "that it's for the future, that could take arbitrairly long, and right now I will just tease you for no reason".
11) At that point I've had enough with this.

Improve.
You have to remember that this is still BETA. There are going to be plenty of bugs, although last I checked you are getting bugs that didn't occur on my pc. Just as a tip, check out the preferences and uncheck "Smart Tabs". Also I fixed the "Failed to find part of path". And HTML5 wasn't released, yet.

Did you read the readme file that came with the download? And I thank you for the nice bug report, now I know what I have to work on for the next update.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Something this buggy can only be called "development snapshot". It's nowhere close to even "early alpha".

Anyways, you should start with handling exceptions properly. If manual says that function may throw an error, catch it, period. And, more importantly, do something meaningful about it.
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

raidho36 wrote:Something this buggy can only be called "development snapshot". It's nowhere close to even "early alpha".

Anyways, you should start with handling exceptions properly. If manual says that function may throw an error, catch it, period. And, more importantly, do something meaningful about it.
PM me with a list of everybug you have encountered and details on how they occured, I would like to work with it and fix them. You so far are the only person I knwo who has encountered this many bugs, I had my cousin test out the software and follow the ReadMe file and he didn't encounter any bugs.

And sorry if my software isn't exactly what you wanted it to be, I am trying to make it good but for some reason I don't see you as giving much constructive critiscm by saying "do something meaningful about it". That doesn't sit right with me and I'm not asking for any apologies but can you maybe not be as harsh as you have been?
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Re: gamesquareIDE [BETA RELEASED!] *Update 1*

Post by TechcoreStudio »

Update 1: http://gamesquare.techcorestudio.com/do ... pdate1.zip

Changelog:
- No start page.
- "Could not find part of path" error whiel creating executable fixed.
Murii
Party member

Re: gamesquareIDE [BETA RELEASED!] *Update 1*

Post by Murii »

Good work guys!
MPQC
Citizen

Post by MPQC »

TechcoreStudio wrote:
raidho36 wrote:And sorry if my software isn't exactly what you wanted it to be, I am trying to make it good but for some reason I don't see you as giving much constructive critiscm by saying "do something meaningful about it". That doesn't sit right with me and I'm not asking for any apologies but can you maybe not be as harsh as you have been?
Don't take it personally, he doesn't know how to be nice.
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

MPQC wrote:
TechcoreStudio wrote:
raidho36 wrote:And sorry if my software isn't exactly what you wanted it to be, I am trying to make it good but for some reason I don't see you as giving much constructive critiscm by saying "do something meaningful about it". That doesn't sit right with me and I'm not asking for any apologies but can you maybe not be as harsh as you have been?
Don't take it personally, he doesn't know how to be nice.
I think he may be able to be nice, him being nice would only help. Him being not so nice though doesn't help me want to fix it, but I know there are people who like this software so I am going to work on it for them.