Help, need buttons.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
SniX
Prole

Help, need buttons.

Post by SniX »

All ways i found to create buttons are really messy and ineffective, anyone has any suggestions for main menu buttons?
Plu
Inner party member

Re: Help, need buttons.

Post by Plu »

What ways have you found? There's a few libraries on the wiki that're quite good, like Quickie and LoveFrames.

http://www.love2d.org/wiki/Category:Libraries
SniX
Prole

Post by SniX »

Emm, all i could think of was checking coordinates every time left mouse button has been pressed down, but my menu consists of 6 diffrent choices, that would take a lot of lines of code, so i didnt bother.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Checking the mouse coordinates and matching it against any active buttons is pretty much the way to go. But the libraries I mentioned will do it for you.
Xrott
Prole

Post by Xrott »

How about simply putting every button in a table, so you could just iterate over them, like this:

Code: Select all

for i = 1, #buttons do
	if mouseX > buttons[i].x 
	and mouseX < buttons[i].width + buttons[i].x 
	and mouseY > buttons[i].y 
	and mouseY < buttons[i].height + buttons[i].y then
		--your code
	end
end
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Well, check out Sock Munkee dev's video on it, if all you need are simple text buttons, but if you want to make GUI's and some better looking buttons, I'd say look into LöveFrames. It's very easy to use, there is extensive documentation on it and(PLUG!) I make my own tutorial series on LÖVE, and all I have to do is upload those episodes tonight and you could follow those to learn how to make buttons. I would suggest at least checking out some of those libraries: They could save you a lot of headaches.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
SniX
Prole

Post by SniX »

I have a little problem using other peoples codes, i can't really understand what is going on if i haven't made it myself :P
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

That's a common thing actually. It gets especially bad if people don't format their code properly - don't use tabs *coughjjmafiaecough* or whitespaces *coughmonkeymancough*. And of course if they don't comment obscure algorithms *couggthembothandmanyotherscough* it gets REALLY hard to read others' code.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I think he means more along the lines of something like this:
Since they didn't make it, they don't know how it works. That's at least true for me. :P
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
iPoisonxL
Party member

Post by iPoisonxL »

I always like a thorough explanation of what the code does, so I can be able to write my own version of it.

Code: Select all

L
    L Ö
    Ö V
L Ö V E
Ö B E
V E
E Y
Website