7 Days Bad Luck - my first game ever, made in 7 days!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Katamori
Prole

Re: 7 Days Bad Luck - my first game ever, made in 7 days!

Post by Katamori »

I think you misunderstood me. I used love.draw() only once. I just didn't want to add another variable, that activates "WASD to move" if true, and to set that when is it true. Adding less than 30 tiles that have shapes of letters was easier. :D
not active here anymore
TimeLoop
Prole

Post by TimeLoop »

Katamori wrote:I think you misunderstood me. I used love.draw() only once. I just didn't want to add another variable, that activates "WASD to move" if true, and to set that when is it true. Adding less than 30 tiles that have shapes of letters was easier. :D
I have been looking through your code.

I have three recommendations.

First, if you want to share your code, you better write the comments in English instead of Czech?

Second, I insist that using game states and canvas/es is the best way to go.

And finally, make your game more modular. For example, instead of have most of your game logic in love.update() and/or love.draw(), I think it is better to have the game logic in different functions and call those functions from the draw() or update() as they are required.
That will result in a more understandable, clean, efficient and easy to maintain code.

That is what I strongly recommend.

Also, hoping to see more improvements to this good loking game.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

thats a pretty good start game for a new comer.
Katamori
Prole

Post by Katamori »

TimeLoop wrote: I have been looking through your code.

I have three recommendations.

First, if you want to share your code, you better write the comments in English instead of Czech?

Second, I insist that using game states and canvas/es is the best way to go.

And finally, make your game more modular. For example, instead of have most of your game logic in love.update() and/or love.draw(), I think it is better to have the game logic in different functions and call those functions from the draw() or update() as they are required.
That will result in a more understandable, clean, efficient and easy to maintain code.

That is what I strongly recommend.

Also, hoping to see more improvements to this good loking game.
LOL I'm way not from Czech Republik :D I'm hungarian. Anyway, I write them for myself, not for further use. It is allowed of course, but not designed for. I uploaded the LÖVE file because it was recommended some posts ago - but the comments were written for myself, not for you. :D

Game states and canvas? I don't know what these things are.

About making modular: there are several modular elements, look at the separated files. (timewriter, scripts, mapsaver, etc.) I didn't think of separating texture animation and text drawings. In my next game, I'm gonna do that!
jjmafiae wrote:thats a pretty good start game for a new comer.
Thanks! Though, as it was mentioned above, it's not my first attempt, just my first actually finished game. =)
not active here anymore
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

A quick helpful note: canvas do not work on all systems (this may change in 0.9.0 after what ive heared)