How did you find LÖVE?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
jjmafiae
Party member

Re: How did you find LÖVE?

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:I like Davids new pic too! Also, I don't know how I derailed the thread this time. Sock is an awesome person :P That's why I got excited... anyway! Some interesting stories were shared here! I said it already, but I found LÖVE from this story:

I heard about Lua when I was playing MC Tekkit and FTB's ComputerCraft mod. I actually wrote a program that open and closed a door :D Anyway, then I tried to learn "actual Lua" as I called it, had success, googled "Lua game engine", and LÖVE was the first result. At the time, I was hoping to make a huge scale game. It was a stupid game idea first of all, and I didn't understand how games worked AT ALL, and I think that was around Feb-Mar that I found LÖVE and got into it. As you can probably see in my description, I didn't join the forums until May-ish. This was because I found Ruby, and wanted to use Ruby(I don't know why, I didn't even like Ruby(and still don't really(other then for Rails and JRuby and Ruboto))), and that failed. So I went back to LÖVE, had questions, took SockMunkee dev's advice in one of his videos about asking on the forums, and here I am today, trying to make an Android app and have got 1(well, technically I have 2, but we wont could MBG2 because of how bad it is) LÖVE game.

If that doesn't bring this topic back on track I don't know what will! But hey: I'm trying :D
is it going good with learning to speak Irish?
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Lol I'm not learning :P If I ever said I was, sorry, but I wasn't and it must've been by mistake. If Duolingo teaches it(which I don't think it does), I'd defiantly learn it via that! Duolingo is awesome.

Anyway, back on track! How did you find LÖVE JJ?
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

I wanted to do some more serious programming, as until recently I only ever really coded in PHP. I'm not a big fan of OOP, so I was looking for a language that wasn't really object oriented. According to Wikipedia, that was Lua.
Interestingly though, thanks to Lua's ways of dealing with tables, I've started doing more OO-like programming. Where I would normally do something like position['x'], I find myself typing position.x more often now.

Anyway, it must've been on some Lua tutorials website, or on Lua users wiki or something that I found a link to LÖVE. And about one week later I had finished my first ever actual game project (even if it's not much). I had done programming way back in the 80s and 90s in BASIC, but I was just playing then, never really made an effort to make a proper game. And PHP isn't very suitable for it either and JavaScript and HTML 5 Canvas is just meh.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

DaedalusYoung wrote:JavaScript and HTML 5 Canvas is just meh.
I tend to disagree. If your talking about power: Bro, do you even WebGL? ^^ And JavaScript is really capable of Games! Check out JawsJS and CraftyJS, or maybe even jQuery with MooTools. I've never used jQuery+MooTools, but it's meant to be good. Personally, I prefer CraftyJS. Anyway:
DaedalusYoung wrote:I wanted to do some more serious programming, as until recently I only ever really coded in PHP. I'm not a big fan of OOP, so I was looking for a language that wasn't really object oriented. According to Wikipedia, that was Lua.
Interestingly though, thanks to Lua's ways of dealing with tables, I've started doing more OO-like programming. Where I would normally do something like position['x'], I find myself typing position.x more often now.

Anyway, it must've been on some Lua tutorials website, or on Lua users wiki or something that I found a link to LÖVE. And about one week later I had finished my first ever actual game project (even if it's not much). I had done programming way back in the 80s and 90s in BASIC, but I was just playing then, never really made an effort to make a proper game. And PHP isn't very suitable for it either.
I wasn't around(by that, I mean I wasn't born yet :P ) for BASIC, but my dad programmed in it, and trying to explain to him about how easy control flow is now and how we don't have 20GOTO10 anymore, how we go in line numbers in 1,2,3,4,5,etc instead of 10,20,30,40,50,etc(that confused him, he asked "But if you want to add something in-between your code, how would you do it??"), etc. I was confused at some of the things in BASIC as well, like how there were no classes, no functions, etc. My dad told me "Yeah well, it was very BASIC!". Maybe that's why I'm into programming... anyway!

OOP is great! Maybe it's because I'm a Java freak, but OOP is awesome!! Maybe consider using a library like MiddleClass or something.

Great story on how you found LÖVE!
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

That BASIC is probably the reason I'm not much into OOP. At first, I didn't really understand it. When I did, I figured, I can do the same much easier.

Oh don't get me wrong, I've seen very impressive JS+HTML 5 projects. I did some stuff with it myself, tried a game, but gave up, and recently I made the basics for a simple Google Maps-like application. So it's powerful, but I don't really have a feel for it.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

[snip]
Last edited by jjmafiae on Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

I can speak a little Irish. The basics(Welcome and how to say Irish in Irish :P)
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:I can speak a little Irish. The basics(Welcome and how to say Irish in Irish :P)
cool
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

jjmafiae wrote:
Eamonn wrote:I can speak a little Irish. The basics(Welcome and how to say Irish in Irish :P)
cool
You're doing it again.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

bartbes wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:
cool
You're doing it again.
what? i did not double post!

sorry :?