How did you find LÖVE?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ixjf
Prole

Re: How did you find LÖVE?

Post by ixjf »

Well, I heard about LÖVE from qaisjp ;) Back then, when Neo Playgrounds was alive, I joined it, even though I was a pure noob, qaisjp hated me (I still don't know why!), but with time he completely changed, and so did I. Years passed and we've grown up, but I still miss those old noob times.

So, yeah that is how I met your mother.
Last edited by ixjf on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

ixjf wrote:Well, I found LÖVE from qaisjp ;) Back then, when Neo Playgrounds was alive, I joined it, even though I was a pure noob, qaisjp hated me, but with time he completely changed, and so did I. Years passed and we've grown up, but I still miss those old noob times.

So, yeah that is how I met your mother.
HIMYM ftw.
I didn't hate you, i thought you were cleverer than me. but i thought you were russian like volkrus, and volkrus pissed me off..
Lua is not an acronym.
Piotr Orange Zduniak
Prole

Post by Piotr Orange Zduniak »

qaisjp wrote:...
qais pls

My story:
Qais decided to create kidnapped a game called "Sticky Destroyer" with from a guy found on these forums. That's when I first heard of LOVE. I offered helping him with the serverside software (as I'm more of a serveradmin/webdeveloper) and after twenty of rewrites/refactorings/whatever not even a single part of the game is fully working (jk, maybe menu is finished).
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

through mari0, learned most things myself
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

That was an awesome story! Compared to mine :P I didn't think I'd get this much feedback :D
Last edited by Eamonn on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
severedskullz
Prole

Post by severedskullz »

After having messed with XNA to no avail and requirements for overcomplicated math that I have no intent to understand until taught (AKA. Quaternions and rotational matrices...) I decided to start simple. I told myself I needed to abandon my excessively intricate video game designs that involve large projects and excessive amounts of physics and complicated collision detections. I decided to start small again and stop trying to run before I could walk.

I was able to do very complicated things in XNA, but as a self taught C# person I didn't know all the tricks for doing things that I did in Java. I then tried jMonkeyEngine and made a few simple games in there, limited in the 3D world by my basic understanding of physics. I then sought to abandon attempting writing my own physics engines for those frameworks and moved on to UDK. Not wishing to relearn a whole new (and COMPLETELY proprietary) language I then jumped ship back to XNA in thought of simple 2D games. I made a small RPG with basic elements in it.

While I was searching for solutions on to why I was getting this very bizzare compiling error I posted on my favorite plague of the internet in seek of help. facepunch.com While browsing to the programming section I saw someone looking for guidance in how to learn to program. In an attempt to offer my own opinions I opened the thread to find he was looking to go into programming for games. One of the members I was very fond of suggested this to him because we were already familiar with gLua for Garry's Mod programming, so I decided to give it a try myself.
Cucurbitacée
Prole

Post by Cucurbitacée »

A few month ago a friend of mine asked if I wanted to help him creating an "oldschool" game. He wanted to do it with GameMaker, but as I'm not a Windows user (ex Amiga lover speaking) I agreed only if I could use my Linux desktop computer or my MacBook.
He was okay with that, but it was my duty to find the right tool. So... I just Googled:
2D Framework
And at the time LÖVE came in first position. :awesome:
After a few weeks my friend lost his motivation and we dropped the project. But my curiosity is still there and I've experimenting since. :3
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Cucurbitacée wrote:A few month ago a friend of mine asked if I wanted to help him creating an "oldschool" game. He wanted to do it with GameMaker, but as I'm not a Windows user (ex Amiga lover speaking) I agreed only if I could use my Linux desktop computer or my MacBook.
He was okay with that, but it was my duty to find the right tool. So... I just Googled:
2D Framework
And at the time LÖVE came in first position. :awesome:
After a few weeks my friend lost his motivation and we dropped the project. But my curiosity is still there and I've experimenting since. :3
I know someone who gave up on programming because gamemaker was easier. It's sad :( I hate Gamemaker!!!!!!!!! Still a good story :D It's really cool hearing all these stories!!! :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
stanmarshd
Prole

Post by stanmarshd »

I was on GyroVorbis's "Game Development" series on YouTube, and saw a comment by "Sochmunkee Dev" saying something about LÖVE, and a tutorial series he'd made.
All you need is LÖVE
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

Through Stabyourself.net!