SLG

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
micha
Inner party member

Re: SLG

Post by micha »

I tested the new version. Its a good thing that the player moves faster now. Feels much more dynamic. As in the version before, there are many polished animations in the game.
I would change the following things:
Without an extra block the player cannot jump onto the first question mark block. This is a bit annoying, because it looks like the player can almost reach it, but then doesn't.
I like platform games, where you can control the jump height by pressing the jump button longer. Maybe you want to implement this feature.
The map is nice, however I would expect that it is only shown, when the TAB-key is held down. So pressing down shows the map and releasing the button goes back to the game (similar to the high score table in some games).
The control in the map is a bit buggy. When I keep left pressed and then shortly press right, the map stops.
A similar problem with the normal player movement: When I press left and right at the same time, then the player moves left. I would expect it to stop in this case.
Last, I suggest that you slightly change the camera, such that the player cannot walk to the screen edges so far. At the moment, I can only look ahead by maybe 4 tiles. That should be more. Maybe make the camera look a head the same as the tile-revealing look ahead, if you know what I mean.

And I have one game design suggestion: When you finally design some levels for the game, make sure there are no idle walking passages in the levels. Since the player is still quiet small on the screen, the walking speed still looks a bit slow. So walking long distances without changes would be boring. Or maybe add a run-button like in Super Mario games.
cgrossi
Prole

Post by cgrossi »

micha wrote:I tested the new version. Its a good thing that the player moves faster now. Feels much more dynamic. As in the version before, there are many polished animations in the game.
Without an extra block the player cannot jump onto the first question mark block. This is a bit annoying, because it looks like the player can almost reach it, but then doesn't.....
Hi, micha. Thanks for your feedback. I read and some of them I really think interesting. Keep following, soon there will be another post. You has become my beta tester... :ultrahappy:
Code games. You'll have fun!
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

cgrossi wrote:
micha wrote:I tested the new version. Its a good thing that the player moves faster now. Feels much more dynamic. As in the version before, there are many polished animations in the game.
Without an extra block the player cannot jump onto the first question mark block. This is a bit annoying, because it looks like the player can almost reach it, but then doesn't.....
Hi, micha. Thanks for your feedback. I read and some of them I really think interesting. Keep following, soon there will be another post. You has become my beta tester... :ultrahappy:
LONG LIVE THE PROPHET MICHA!
cgrossi
Prole

Post by cgrossi »

Hi, guys.

Here is a new version of SLG. With it, there are three levels. Now, you have to collect the diamonds within the time.
There are bugs yet - of course. I wait for your comments.

You can run using left shift. This feature changes your jumping hight. In the snow level, you can slide and in the desert level, your speed is slowed due to sand.

Thanks.
slg.love
left shift - run; f10 - toggle window/full screen; tab - map
(480.64 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Graphics is pretty good although fadein effect is really unnecessary. Physics is a bit rough, and a time limit doesn't give you a whole lot of time to explore.
cgrossi
Prole

Post by cgrossi »

raidho36 wrote:Graphics is pretty good although fadein effect is really unnecessary. Physics is a bit rough, and a time limit doesn't give you a whole lot of time to explore.

what do you mean about physics?
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Sometimes I can't go to the places I assume I'm able to go, also around the edges physics is a bit buggy I think.
cgrossi
Prole

Post by cgrossi »

Hi, raidho36. Where exactly you can't go? And when you are standing over the edge, the game simulates you lost your balance and fall.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I think it mostly had to do with that movable box thing, when it stands next to wall with enough span to fit the player, it wouldn't fit, neither horizontally nor vertically. Maybe it's not a bug, but it just don't feels right.