Splashy

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Dissident
Prole

Splashy

Post by Dissident »

Hello. Call me Dissident. I picked that name based on the avatar gag. I think one of the most fun parts of joining a new community is making up a new name - unless I can't, then it ends up being wierd vocalizations or PRNG output.

:monocle: So here begins my epic tale, which eventually gets to the subject of this thread. I was on a quest to find the perfect programming language. I was tired of trying to learn whatever language was right in front of me, only to be dissapointed because it wasn't working at all. So I laid out my criteria (must be interpreted, fast, and not stupid) and began my search.

First I threw out Python, because Python is stupid. I also threw out a bunch of LISPy things and PERL, because they are old and confusing. For a while I was using TCL, and that was nice, but then I began my search anew when I discovered that TCL users don't get any good things (namely graphics. Tk is an irreparable mess).

So I ended up looking at Lua. It's fast, small, I was able to write Hello World without even checking the syntax first, and I could potentially use it to mod one of my favorite games (once I get Windows back, that is). I immediately found that I needed graphics and would eventually need game-related functions, so I looked for a game engine and found Moai and Love2D. Love2D had better page rank Moai implied that it wasn't free.

And that brings me to the purpose of this thread: I decided that the best way to learn the code would be to port one of my games from my old engine (a graphical tool called Game Editor which used C-based script; it was mostly okay but had un-listed 32-bit dependencies and audio problems). I created this account initially to ask for some help making it, but I was able to figure out everything I needed on my own :ultrahappy: This version is as close as possible to the original, based on memory. I plan to make an improved version if you want me to.

Excerpt from the original readme:

To play the game, move your cursor left and right to move the bucket under the drops as they fall. When a drop hits the top of the bucket, your score will increase and three smaller drops will appear that you can catch for additional points.
Catching drops quickly will cause your score to increase faster. Large drops have a base value of 5 points, small drops have a base value of 2 points.
The game will not end on its own, allowing your score to increase indefinitely.

Also note that my code may be write-only.

EDIT: I was trying to figure out what MPQC meant (first reply) and I remembered my shoddy solution to making the bucket follow the cursor. Under that system, if the cursor moved into the no-follow zones too quickly, the bucket wouldn't follow it. I tried to compensate by shrinking those areas, and it seemed fine on my touchpad, but for normal people with mouses (do we call them mice?) it might seem like the bucket isn't allowed to touch the walls or something. I don't know if that was the actual problem, but I fixed it anyway because it should never have been left like that.
Attachments
Splashy.love
Version with minor fix.
(67.88 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by Dissident on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MPQC
Citizen

Re: Splashy

Post by MPQC »

Sometimes the water can go off to the side so you can't catch it. :(

Pretty nice though.
Mermersk
Party member

Re: Splashy

Post by Mermersk »

I like the rain, nice little game!