What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by bartbes »

That looks cool, I like how you actually went and thought about how to fill them, too ;).
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Yes, nice stuff, indeed. I also find you images visually appealing.
seanmd
Prole

Post by seanmd »

way cool, way way cool. I love seeing the tricks people come up with to make procedural content.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

That's really nice. I did my own "generated map" project a while ago but didn't go to the amazing lengths you have. You're inspiring me to try it again using some of your techniques. You never know when a randomly generated map will come in handy.

If I may ask, what is the Lua table output your algorithm returns? I'd be interested to see how the table data is structured for use in the game.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Jasoco wrote:If I may ask, what is the Lua table output your algorithm returns? I'd be interested to see how the table data is structured for use in the game.
I haven't figured that out as I haven't integrated it with my game yet. But I think I'll end up with what I have now: a 2D array of room structs for the dungeon layout and an adjacency list (adj_list[id] = {id1, id2, id3} -> room with id = id connects to rooms with id = id1, id2, id3) for the connections.
rexjericho
Prole

Post by rexjericho »

Hey! I've been working hard on a layered tile loader. Each layer is a grayscale image that represents one type of tile and the darkness of the pixel represents the darkness of it's colour. For example:

This 100x100px image:
sJaNS31.png
sJaNS31.png (12.86 KiB) Viewed 551 times
is layered on top of this image:
aertUPh.png
aertUPh.png (13.88 KiB) Viewed 551 times
To make this 100x100 tile level:
OaJLBAW.png
OaJLBAW.png (49.05 KiB) Viewed 551 times
The loader figures out the priority of each layer and shade of each colour. It also features the ability to shade the layer using a specified number of shades! This is handy because the loader draws the spritebatch texture itself while the level is loading. Here is a map with 50 shade each colour:
iuw7o4h.png
iuw7o4h.png (52.34 KiB) Viewed 551 times
And here is the same map with 20 shades each colour:
NFhnlDl.png
NFhnlDl.png (55.81 KiB) Viewed 551 times
I'm making this on a 7 year old laptop and the load time is 2 seconds for a 100x100 tile map and 8 seconds for a 700x700 tile map. Since the loading times could possibly be much longer for more complex levels, I've made this loader so that it loads for a certain amount of time in update so that the game can maintain a constant fps and loading can be done in the backround.
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

That looks beautiful. Is that just for aesthetics or do the shades also have a game relevant mechanic/functionality?
rexjericho
Prole

Post by rexjericho »

Thanks! It's just for aesthetics. I started playing around with colours after reading this article:
http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/g ... s-artwork/

I haven't thought much about the gameplay yet. Right now I'm fiddling around with animating between colour gradients so that I can have structures that appear to form right out of the ground.
seanmd
Prole

Post by seanmd »

Making some 3d projections for a city. It's still limited, but getting better.
Attachments
new_pseudo_3d.love
(19.83 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

seanmd wrote:Making some 3d projections for a city. It's still limited, but getting better.
Incredible job! I could never do anything like that :P I spent about 10 minutes just moving about and being fascinated. The code wasn't all to confusing either(granted I only looked at main.lua). I assume the Vector thing was a library or something? Or did you make it?
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly