Multiplayer Isometric RPG Framework.

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
PaleWhiteHorse
Prole

Re: Multiplayer Isometric RPG Framework.

Post by PaleWhiteHorse »

how is this coming along? i would love to use the top down map editor for an upcoming project! I'm having trouble finding something that will allow me to figure out collision with the environment
KingRecycle
Prole

Post by KingRecycle »

This is looking good. I believe I saw you post this on Facepunch as well. can't wait to see more.
Inlife
Prole

Post by Inlife »

how is your project, is it alive? :)
Averice
Prole

Post by Averice »

Still alive yes been a while since I've updated the git repo though ill post what I've been doing with it once I get home from work.
Averice
Prole

Post by Averice »

Going to be posting content here quite frequently now, sorry it's been so long, have a boring picture of the networking:

Still working on the map editor, and an image editor/animator/attachment-placer

Should I write a chatbox / chat networking already or should I leave that part up to whoever will use this to make a game?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Averice wrote:Should I write a chatbox / chat networking already or should I leave that part up to whoever will use this to make a game?
Averice, it's good to see your project still alive. A chatbox feature don't seem really be a core/fundamental thing for now. IMHO you should keep it for a second stage.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

coffee wrote:Averice, it's good to see your project still alive. A chatbox feature don't seem really be a core/fundamental thing for now. IMHO you should keep it for a second stage.
On the contrary, it is a simply implementation of a networked feature and is probably a good place to start. Once you have messages being sent and received you can start adding information to your packets and build upon a working system. I've heard it said a lot that when designing networked games you should build them from the ground up with the networking in mind.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Cool stuff :D
Last edited by qaisjp on Thu May 30, 2013 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lua is not an acronym.
Averice
Prole

Post by Averice »

Added the option to use LUBE for those who like it, added class commons which will interact with my own class system as well ( needed for LUBE ).

Code: Select all

if( class_commons ~= false ) then

local function commonInherit(name, class, superclass)
		if( _R[name] ) then
			return _R[name];
		end
		_R[name] = superclass or {};
		for k, v in pairs(class) do
			_R[name][k] = v;
		end
		return _R[name];
	end

common = {}
	function common.class(name, class, superclass)
		return commonInherit(name, class, superclass);
	end
	function common.instance(class, ...)
		if( _R[class] ) then
			local metaClass = {}
			--setmetatable(metaClass, _R[class]);
			for k,v in pairs(_R[class]) do
				metaClass[k] = v;
			end
			if( metaClass.init ) then
				metaClass:init(...);
			end
			return metaClass;
		end
	end

end
For anyone that knows where _R came from, I got so use to Gmods function names and metatables that I decided to mimic it in mine cause I liked it, even the GUI system has been written so it's almost identical ( in the sense you can create custom looking gui's the same way you would for gmod, ( panel.Register == vgui.Register pretty much ), All mouse events that interact with the GUI, have identical names and work similar ( MouseEnter, MouseExit, OnMousePressed, OnMouseReleased ) In theory you could drop a GUI from your gmod project into this and it would work ( except for custom textures as they're loaded into the engine on load and precached into an assets table )
Averice
Prole

Post by Averice »

It's been a while but the engine has come a long way so far, I'm in the process of gaining motivation to start writing the lighting for the 2d Maps.
But here's a few screenshots to show where it's at now.

This shows the texture cropping and placement in the Map Editor

Another image of the map editor loading a map and using a full tileset ( The red squares are collision, the map editor also supports generating terrain with simplex noise )

A simple breakout game I'm making for the Facepunch Contest ( CODify the classics ) This is the menu with a few bouncing physics balls, the menu is and separate game loading is handled automatically by the engine aswell as loading separate assets depending on which game the engine is launching.

This is showing an incomplete options menu using the gui system to make a different looking menu other than the default.

Sorry for being slack and not keeping this thread updated.