Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for feedback!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Plu
Inner party member

Re: Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for feedback!

Post by Plu »

You could probably include an extra sign by making drops of sweat jump from your character if he gets hot. You're looking at him constantly anyway.

Also, great game! Very difficult, though. Even the easy mode I usually couldn't get beyond floor 2 or so.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for testers!

Post by Jasoco »

no_akira wrote:The "IT Crowd" in a updated SNES game.................... lol ( Sorry just realised how international this thread is, IT Crowd was a UK TV geek comedy )
I'm American and I literally just watched the entirety of IT Crowd this week. Right now I am watching some of my favorite Doctor Who episodes. (The Family of Blood)

Also, that would be an amazing level. Create all the characters from the show in the style of the game's characters. And the internet box with the red flashing light would be brilliant.

Also, I just have one complaint about the game I tested, the name entry screen, while I appreciated the NES/SNES style controller-based name entry, it should also allow keyboard input. If you don't know how to implement this, I could help with some sample code. But it would make it a bit easier.

Also..
SimonLarsen wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Love it. The art style. The color choices. The music. Who did the music?
I did actually. The music (and sound effects) are all made with FamiTracker.
I was kind of hoping 0.9.0 would be out in time for release so we could use NSF modules instead and reduce the LÖVE package size from ~9.9MB to ~400KB.
0.9.0 is going to have the ability to play NSF files? Does that count the music files for both NES and SNES? Because I'd love to make all my music SNES style and MP3/Vorbis takes up a bit of unnecessary space when making simple games like that. Now I really want to play with 0.9.0.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Re: Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for testers!

Post by SimonLarsen »

Jasoco wrote:Also, I just have one complaint about the game I tested, the name entry screen, while I appreciated the NES/SNES style controller-based name entry, it should also allow keyboard input. If you don't know how to implement this, I could help with some sample code. But it would make it a bit easier.
Just added keyboard input. Should've done that long time ago.
Jasoco wrote:0.9.0 is going to have the ability to play NSF files? Does that count the music files for both NES and SNES? Because I'd love to make all my music SNES style and MP3/Vorbis takes up a bit of unnecessary space when making simple games like that. Now I really want to play with 0.9.0.
rude added GME support 9 months ago. I'm just assuming it is gonna be in 0.9. :ultraglee:

Edit: Also, NSF files are only NES modules, however libGME includes support for a range of other module formats,
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

SimonLarsen wrote:Image
★ Mr. Rescue ★
You know, but having just watched that yesterday all I can think when I see this is...

"Are you my Mummy?"
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:"Are you my Mummy?"
Fixed that for you.

(Also, have you seen the current series yet? Run, you clever boy. And remember.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Plu wrote:Very difficult, though. Even the easy mode I usually couldn't get beyond floor 2 or so.
What about the game was difficult? Are the enemies to strong? Is it difficult to avoid the fire? Did too many civilians die?

The game is supposed to be somewhat hard, but we'd like people to be able to get past second section on easy.
Codex
Party member

Post by Codex »

Some potential bugs,
  • It doesn't seem possible to move humans up/down ladders.
  • The leap-frog enemy will jump out the window if it's smashed open.
  • Your default player is unable to smash a window open by jumping into it.
  • When trying to shoot water at fires sometimes humans will get in the way.
As for gameplay,
  • It seems geared so that you should only fight if you have no other resort.
  • Almost all enemies you can avoid by either standing still or jumping over them. (which is faster than defeating them)
  • You can jump over fire without getting burned. (only if it's on the floor and 1-2 flames long)
And I have to agree with some of the people here that your heat bar is too small. This is annoying especially when you suddenly die without realizing your heat bar is too high. I would like to see some kind of warning indicator. Maybe make the screen red-ish as your heat reaches max. (similar to how the corners of the screen become red when you die)

Still haven't beat easy yet... I think I got to lvl 18 as my highest? Easy is still very hard. And from my understanding of difficulty modes it's just more lives + more levels + stronger/more enemies + faster fire spread rate? Maybe on easy mode give the player some default starting powerups so that it doesn't feel impossible.

Oh and if you ever get around to it, co-op would be awesome for this game.

Final comment - Did nobody teach these human NPCs to stop-drop-roll in school?!? :crazy: